New built computer FREEZES please help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
62c isn't abnormal for a highly loaded P4. If you going to spend money on over priced paste, you might just as well get a better heatsink and fan for a few bucks more.

62c isn't abnormal for a highly loaded P4. If you going to spend money on over priced paste, you might just as well get a better heatsink and fan for a few bucks more.

Well it is not my PC and the owner of the computer isn't a gamer at ALL. He will mainly use it for office along with publisher. Mainly internet and email use as well. I just need to figure out what is causing the computer to continue screwing up. I need a stable system not a powerful one. So as long as the thermal paste will do the job and at least take care of the issue then I will stick with that. I am not sure if this is the issue and neither are some of the other guys in here. Hopefully it is but I am not too sure. I will post updates tomorrow after purchasing the paste.

OK another update as of just now. I have purchased some thermal paste or compound to reapply to the heatsink and cpu since I wiped the old stuff off and didn't put more on. The CPU is running much cooler. It idels at about 32 and I ran a benchmark which put the processor at 100% for about 2.5 minutes and the temp only got to 42C. However I am not positive this was the problem. So what should be my next step. Again I have a fresh copy of windows installed with xp sp2 and no windows updates. I have the asus chipset driver and vga driver installed ONLY. No network or anything like that. I have installed speedfan and everest to monitor the temperature of the system and lastly reapplied some thermal paste to the processor and heatsink. What should I do now. I will leave the system on with everything installed that I have just mentioned. To see if it shuts off. I have both mem. sticks in and running. Please let me know if there are any suggestions or what I should do next. Thanks

This sounds like a great idea. I did have it running at 100% for about 2.5 minutes. How long should i have it go? What kind of temps should i be looking to stay away. When i ran it for the 2 minutes it only got to 42C which is good i think.

42C looks great. Leave running a few hours at 100% before updating etc. My P4 3.2 prescott on my laptop runs 24/7(100% cpu) at about 64c while running cancer research program. It hasn't crashed yet.

Well I have gotten an ERROR!!! I got lucky on this one because as i was just about to go to bed I thought I should see how the computer is running before lights out. It was in the process of restarting and no one has touched it. It tried to boot up but came to a black screen like always. I held the button to shut it down and turned it back on. I got lucky because i caught it before too much damage to the OS I got back into windows and got an error message pop up right away stating:

"One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

No errors in the event viewer... I failed to mention this before but I have gotten this error many times about a month ago when the issue started occurring. The only thing on the PC was xp drivers from Asus website for chipset and VGA. No lan drivers, audio, or any others. NO INTERNET obviously because no lan drivers. No software other than drivers and speedfan and everest to test temps. Temps NEVER got higher than 33C at idle and the computer was at an idle state when it started the restart issue. Please answers!!! Hopefully this has helped someone else so they can help me. Again I was able to boot to windows so i shouldn't have to reformat just yet but I have turned off the machine so it doesn't continue doing whatever the heck it is doing. Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

OK got a quick post back on another forum which pointed me to another thread having this issue. The overall summary of that thread was the memory. So just to add on to this update I took a memory stick out of the machine and turned it back on. Windows booted up with the same error...so i decided to reboot right away again. Windows booted back up with no error. So I will run the computer with this one chip for a few days and monitor it and see how long it lasts. If it doesn't work I should know within a max of 3 days. I will continuously post the status of the computer. Any other ideas or suggestions please feel free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom