HP 6122 Printer. Hangs when installing driver. XP Professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I'm workin with a Dell laptop at work, and I need to install a USB printer - HP 6122.

When I download the driver and double click to install it, it goes through its process. Towards the very end, it hangs at detecting hardware...

I've let it go and went on other jobs for a while, coming back 2 hours later to see it still sitting there.

I've power cycled the printer, rebooted the computer, tried different USB ports, blah blah blah. I'm confused on what happened to it.

Any ideas?

Do you have the printer connected prior to installing the driver? If so, start from scratch, install the driver first, then after the driver is done installing (or it asks you to plug in the printer) plug in the printer.

I've tried both ways.

The only warning thing I get about it detecting the printer is if I JUST powered it on it may take longer. It's not like other printers that it says "NOW you may connect the printer."

But, regardless, I've tried both ways.

Is this driver from the manf website or a CD that came w/ the printer?

Have you tried installing it on another machine to see if possibly the printer is faulty.

No, I should though. I'm so darn busy that it's hard to drag other computers around for troubleshooting purposes. But then again, if I just get like a 10 foot USB extension cable I may be able to reach the desktop in the room...

I'm using the driver from the manufacturer's web site. I do not have a CD for it.

Okay, just making sure it isn't a driver issue (which i don't think it is because the install wouldn't hang, it would just not print when you told it to).

I would see if it is a printer issue or a machine issue. I realize it may be a pain but move the printer to another area and install it on a different machine (preferrably one with similar settings/OS as the one you are installing). Then we can see what the real issue is.

Hello,

Have you tried to possibly install the drivers first? I know that some devices are that way. Also have you hooked up the printer directly to a USB port on the PC or to a hub? It could be that thru the hub it is not being recognized.

Cheers,
Mak

"Do you have the printer connected prior to installing the driver? If so, start from scratch, install the driver first, then after the driver is done installing (or it asks you to plug in the printer) plug in the printer."

No one reads my posts :(

Sorry Lex. I read your posts but i was jsut thinking of the issue when i posted. I didnt even bother to check if it was already suggested. That is my bad. :(

I've done many combinations:

Installed driver. Turned on printer while it attempted to detect.
Turned on printer, installed driver.
Installed driver, didn't turn on till way later.
Power cycled printer + rebooted computer several times.
Tried multiple USB ports.

djklfa;jsdfkljaskl;dfjasl;dfa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom