Monitor goes black when anything changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure. what specs, specifically, do you need?

Dell Dimension 4600
3 Gg RAM
Dell LCD monitor
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
primary HD: 40Gg
slave HD: 160Gg

let me know what else. thanks

Okay i think i found yours online, 250 watts is on the extreme low end if you have the P4 2.8 ghz processor.

It also says you have onboard video - is this true? If so use that instead to see if the problem persists.

I have the P4 2.66GHz.

I'm not sure where to find how many watts my PS is. i don't see anything on the CPU about that.

How do I use the onboard video? no clue what that is.

I believe your power supply is 250 watts, i still think it is your video card, but it was something else to think about. Have you added ANYTHING to the computer, like your video card?

Look in the back of your computer, there should be a blue, 15 pin female connector that is attached to your motherboard (NOT your video card, this is onboard, meaning it is on the motherboard). Do you have one there? Or is this what you meant by your video card?

To this computer, i've added all but 512mb of the RAM, a second internal HD, and an external USB HD.

There is not a blue 15-pin female connector back there other than the one that my monitor is plugged in to, which is in the top card slot. i thought that was my video card.

Technically speaking i guess... :)

Video cards USUALLY refer to an actual card that is physically independant from your motherboard. I didn't realize you were speaking about your onboard video because you said it was NVDA, and all the reviews i read i didn't see that in there (my fault).

This creates a larger issue, because although you can purchase a separate card for video and plug it into your AGP/PCI slot, the issue is that since your onboard video is failing, the rest of the board COULD follow shortly.

Two options here, one you could purchase a new standard video card for around 60 bucks (assuming you don't need anything fancy) and use that, realizing that it MAY not fix the issue (considering A we don't know for sure if it is just the video card crashing, and B the entire board could be failing).

Second option is to replace the board, which in that case you might as well purchase a new system since yours is an older one (you'd end up having to purchase a new power supply, board, ram, video, processor).

My device manager shows that my Display Adapter is "NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200". Does that not mean that i have a video card independent from the motherboard?

Next to the blue 15-pin female connector (on the same card) is (what looks like) an S-Video adapter and another connector (white female with more pin holes than the blue)

I think i'd rather test a new video card rather than buy a new machine right off the bat. what parameters do i need to follow in buying one?

No you are right, i just didn't realize that it was a Nvidia card, so i just assumed that it was a separate card you had purchased at some point in time. Since this is an older model it only has an AGP slot for video. Below is a list of cheaper video cards you can purchase from newegg.

Newegg.com - EVGA 256-A8-N341-LX GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR AGP 8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - EVGA 128-A8-N303-L2 GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Newegg.com - CHAINTECH LA-FX20-H GeForce FX 5200 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 4X/8X Low Profile Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Also check their return policies, if you can return within a few days w/o penalty it may be worth looking into. So when you try a new card and still get the same effect, you can return the card w/o paying too much (probably just shipping).

Thanks. I have ordered the chaintech vcard based on the reviews.... crossing my fingers that it works. IF IT DOESN'T, do you think i need to buy a new system completely? thank you very much for your help today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom