SSD: Whats in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
How long until SSD is affordable and becomes the standard for computer storage? 2010? 2015?

How long until SSD is affordable and becomes the standard for computer storage? 2010? 2015?

Yeh thats what they are saying. Most likely it will find its way into laptops a bit earlier because of the small size and decreased power consumption. What will take longer is the capasity of them to take over current HDDs. At the moment i think the limit is around 128GBs. I would say earliest maybe 5 years for it to be 'standard'.

Gurusan look at scan from time to time they have had some crazy prices on SSD's in the past month or two. I am considering getting a 128gb for around 80 quid for my macbook (that things traveled with me everyware since i got it) an i am worried about the normal drive getting knocked an then i am stuffed for a laptop till i get home (I have about 30 SATA hard drives knocking about the place).

But I think it will be around 5+ years before we see SSD's becoming a standard option on laptops from places like Dell, but desktops I think it will be another 8 years tops before we see SSD's getting touted as a selling point on TV adds, Servers in some places I know already have SSD's mostly deployed in places with a lot of money banks, accountants, etc. The only thing that i think that is holding them back is the data recovery aspect if it dies you can prity much forget getting data off it, the price is a non issue for some places but the general consumor has no idea whats in a normal hard drive its only now that hard drives are getting moved around more an more with more people having laptops that companines are throwing money into them.

all of us need it, but if your data is important not just to you but peoples lives like banking info they need it.

guru - like 70 quid cheep a little less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom