A good CPU cooler and power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Ok i was certain on the AF7 for ages but now I'm not certain. There seem to be other good ones in my price range to consider.

I CANNOT spend more then £35 and I'd prefer it to be under £30. It's to cool my Q6600, i may OC it to 3ghz but probably no more then that.

Some good looking ones are( and please if you link to others make sure they are on ebuyer):

ASUS Silent Knight II Socket copper Processor cooler, this is at the top of the budget but it is my favourite looks wise, not sure if it's any good..the reviews seem positive though.

Thermaltake big Typhoon, cheaper at only £24, doesn't look very aesthetically pleasing but it's reviews are also good.

then of course the AF7 still at a mere £15

So if anyone has any idea which would the right one for me, Ocing to probably 3ghz on a Q6600, i doubt I'll do more then that.

Now onto power supplies. I was going to get the Corsair 520watt modular power supply but ebuyer is out and it's vanished from the choices so maybe it isn't coming back. So i went on this sites power supply rankings and Antec was on top for gaming rigs containing single powerful GPU's( think you guys classed it is a high/medium rig). So i picked out something which cost roughly the same.

it's the Antec NeoPower 550W Modular PSU With 80mm Low Speed/noise Fan 18db

does anyone have any experience with this power supply?

there's also this.....Coolermaster RealPower 520W Modular PSU - SLI Ready

Anyone know if either is a good choice?

Thanks for any help guys, going to be getting my rig in the next week!:eek:

Both of these are quality components at very good prices :)

90191279ts5.png

anyone else have any opinions to offer?( not that yours was bad or anything).

Hey but do i really need 750watts, i thought someone said it's not so much about loads of watts it's about the Amps? If a 520watt corsair was recommended(which their out of) surely something at 550w is ok? and Antec is top of the power supply chart on this site, i just don't know of the Antec i chose is any good.

Argh lol i really want that Asus knight cooler, is it OK, i mean will it do the job? ALSO i need to buy thermal paste with that right? What's a good thermal paste that costs under £5 if possible? I found Artic Silver 5 for a little under £5, will that do?

1) No you don't need 750w, but it's a quality PSU and if you can find one of that quality for the same price then go for it.

2) The Asus Silent knight is a marginal at best cooler...currently the OCZ Vendetta 2 is the best bang/buck...it even outperforms the TRUE with many fan combinations.

3) You don't need thermal paste, aftermarket coolers come with it and the Vendetta comes with OCZ freeze which is very good

ok thanks a lot, sorry for the delayed reply. Does anyone have any idea if this OCZ vendetta 2 cooler will fit inside an NZXT tempest case, without touching the side fan? It seems like a pretty big case but i don't want to buy this cooler and realise it's way too big.

Ok i just read a review of that cooler, it says its very good but it's huge and for three different mobos he tried it covered RAM slots 1 and 2, so no dual channel. Also it barely fitted in his big full tower case... so maybe it is too big for me...

If you know it isn't please correct me but otherwise does anyone have any ideas for an ok cooler which will fit in the NZXT tempest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom