Drive wipe help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebeccagiunio

Baseband Member
Hi Guys

I have to take my PC back to repair/exchange but as it has all my business files and accounts on there I want to wipe the drive.
However because it will not POST or enter BIOS I have followed some great advice on here and removed the hdd, put it in an external enclosure and hooked it to the laptop.
I have copied my files but now want to wipe the whole thing so it can't be recovered.

The PC which is a HP Pavillion Slimline s3514 didn't come with any recovery discs and of course I want to be able to install the OS when I have wiped the drive.

Can I make recovery discs from the hdd slaved to the laptop?
I can't find the programme anywhere and would really appreciate your help!

Thanks in advance

Rebecca

x

Hello,

What OS is on that drive? XP or Vista? The best way to wipe the drive. Is to use KillDisk. That will make it much more difficult to recover any data from it.

Cheers,
Mak

The trial isn't crippled. So it will get the job done. I would repartition the drive to one big drive and let Clean Disk do it's thing.

Clean Disk Security Info and Download page

Programs like Acronis True Image can clone the hard drive from an external enclosure. Then you will be able to restore the OS and your data when you get your repaired/replaced PC back. That's assuming you get the exact model and revision back.

What is this recovery disc for? Are you just trying to back up the data onto a DVD?

The hard drive may have hidden recovery partition on it. Hopefully it will have the software needed to create an install DVD for Vista.

Ah ok... could this be it then...

When I connect the drive to the laptop it shows up two sections (F) which has all the user files pics etc on and windows and progamme files and then theres another one labelled (G) which says Factory Image.

If I wipe (F) can I then use (G) to restore it to out of box state?

and if so what do I do to restore the OS to the hdd while it is hooked up ot the laptop before putting it back inside the pc.

x

I've never used Hp's recovery. I'd be careful when running the recovery from the laptop. It might want to restore to the laptop drive rather than the primary partition of the PCs hard drive. Yes the G drive should have the software to restore the F drive to it's factory state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom