Annoying Frame Rate Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

wompa_stompa

Solid State Member
I just put a new motherboard in my computer that I've built and now whenever I play a game the frame rate fluctuates between ~64fps to ~5fps constantly. I've updated the drivers for the graphics card and have even re-installed windows.

I opened up the task manager on my other monitor to see if there was something else eating up the CPU usage and the only thing that changed when the frame rates drop was the system idle process. Now everyone has said that is normal, but the frame rate drops whenever the system idle process goes up.

I have also tried opening up the case to make sure there was enough air flow in to the processor and it still does it. Does anyone know what the problem was and/or know how to fix it?

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
2.8 GHz, 2GB of RAM
ASUS M3A78-EMH HDMI MoBo
Rosewill 600W 12V Power Supply
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GTS OC2 PCIe GPU

So, did you just build the whole thing when you got the motherboard, or replace an existing motherboard? If the latter, did you reinstall Windows?

Also, the system idle process number is actually the % that is idle. if system idle process is at 98, that means the CPU is under 2% load.

I had built the computer previously but due to another issue i had to replace the motherboard and yes i did reinstall windows after i replaced it.

I haven't checked the temperatures but like i said i kept the side panel off for quite some time and nothing changed. Whats the best way to monitor the temp?

coretemp is what you want for monitoring cpu's

go through your bios and make sure cool n' quiet is off

what system processes do you have running, and how many.. screenie maybe if you can

25i4w8x.jpg

i haven't gotten the dual core optimizer. what does that do?

so i downloaded the dual core optimizer from the amd website and i turned the cool'n'quiet off of the cpu and its still doing the same thing. also the temp stays around 49-53 degrees c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom