Should I Buy This Beast Of A Computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no expert here, though I did used to build servers until recently. As far as I know ECC reduces performance by only a tiny bit (a few measly percent) but provides fewer errors and better parity. So while fewer errors is obviously better for a server/workstation, it's not that important for a typical gaming rig. But it shouldn't be a noticeable performance loss at all. The ECC ram does cost more though.

I don't think you can, no. You're stuck with ECC as far as I know. As far as the case just check the front panel connections and I assume you're going to do a format and reinstall of Winders or whatever OS you want. Once you reinstall mobo/chipset drivers that's about all you can do. They may have just died out at some point, it's tough to say. If you've got a secondary USB controller installed in a PCI slot I think you might be able to run the front panel USB connections to that card and see if they work then. Giver er a shot.

EDIT: And remember this computer uses RDRAM, not regular DDR. Just wanted to make sure you're clear on that.

Thanks man but how do I know if the motherboard will fill in the case? Do you think it will require some modding to get it to fit right? And your saying that I could just rewire the front usb ports to work off the 2.0 card? And what about the cpu coolers, do they have to be a certain size or something? Srry for all these questions :speechless:

It should fit in a case like that just fine, it looks like just standard ATX to me.

CPU coolers just have to fit whatever socket your mobo is, I don't think they should have to be any different than that, but the ones Dell included are probably pretty good.

haha, i'd prob spend the 100 bucks on it, than save your money to build a new one... You can get a fairly good computer for 600 bucks. Possibly cheaper since you don't plan on gaming.

Yea that what I'm planning on doing, i figure this computer will hold me untill the price of the quads go down haha. So what size are most motherboards nowadays cause the board in this thing is huge.

Bet your glad you bought the computer,seems pretty awesome.More than likely the price of quads will go down once the 3 i7 variations come out this october.I still gotta come over and check it out.As far as the motherboard size im assuming the older it is,the bigger itd be but im sure there are exceptions to that.The sizes and shapes of motherboards are called "form factors" i pulled up a page that will hopefully help you out.

Comparison of computer form factors - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe i can come by this week and check it out.Hopefully the mouse is working out well for you.Hopefully we can get your ps/2 ports working.Are you using a usb keyboard on it aswell?

Well I really appreciate all the help I got here regarding this computer but now it seems it won't start o_O I've already tried a few thins but nothing and I don't want to spend too much time on it so I'm gonna tell the guy that I pass and see what else he has. I think he might have an older AMD setup that's decent and if so I might go with that one but I'll def. post it's stats here before I hand over any cash haha.

Why not just buy a computer and build yourself?

We could probably set a rig up for you thats half decent for basic stuff for around $300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom