1/4th of screen black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetop

Solid State Member
This morning when i started my computer, my screen wouldn't start up. This has happened before and i didn't panic, i just restarted my computer. Okay the monitor started up all fine, but once it started showing the start up info, i noticed that about 1/4th of the left side of my screen was black.

I tried to restart the computer a few times hoping it goes away. It didn't. Then i did the whole process to install new drivers and such, but didn't help. I checked the connection between my monitor and video card (8800gt), but it was all fine. I disconnected my video card and reinstalled it, checking all the cables and that there was nothing wrong there.

I also tried to access the monitor controls but everything was locked? Only thing i could access is the brightness and contrast controls.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj249/Jammu_69/Kuva004.jpg
(sorry for the crappy image quality)
It's sideways as you may see and the black portion is at the top of that picture.

Is there any way to repair it?

Any help appreciated.

FORGOT = my monitor is Samsung SyncMaster 930BF 19"

Hmm well only other computer i have is in pieces upstairs without RAM... Would it boot without ram?

Actually, i tried to start Bioshock, it started fine and all, went to options and changed resolutions, it makes a funny noice like a really high tone beep from the monitor, also it does it if i turn the monitor on and off.

And no, the monitor doesn't have speakers, and its not a loud noice, just really high.

is the monitor a CRT or a LCD? if its CRT sounds like its dieing. and no it wont boot without ram, does the other computer have a video card you can take from it to test in that one?

EDIT:: just check, its not a CRT. ive had similar problems with CRT but not with LCD

Just from the pic that definitely looks monitor-related to me. Have you tried pushing the Settings button on your monitor and adjusting the Horizontal Positions at all?

And I don't know why your lcd would be making high pitched noises. CRTs do that when they're on their last leg but I don't think I've seen an lcd do it. Could be a power thing. I think all Samsung's stuff has a 3 year warranty, though. So you might be able to get a replacement if it turns out to be the monitor after all.

Yep i tried to push it but all the options except for changing color and brightness are locked, so i can't access em... But they are at where they should be... 50-50 that is.

The other comp has a 6600gt but its agp so i can't put it on this one.

Dunno about the warranty, might need to check that, not sure when the monitor was bought.

So it won't boot at all without ram? not to bios, anywhehere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom