Quick check before i buy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
Right ok i'll be buying my new computer in the next week or so, just going to put down what i've decided on incase i've made any huge mistakes. My budget is £800 and this(including VAT and shipping) comes to £799, perfect!:D

Case

NZXT Tempest Steel Mid Tower Case - No PSU

Processor

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping (2.4GHz 1066MHz) Socket 775 L2 8MB Cache (2x4MB (4MB per core pair) OEM

RAM

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Memory REAPER EDITION CL4

GPU

PowerColor HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card

Hard Drive

Seagate ST3500320AS 500GB Hard Drive SATA II 7200rpm *32MB Cache* - OEM

Mobo

ASUS P5KC AiLifestyle Series iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard

Power Supply

Corsair 520W HX Series Modular PSU - ATX12V v2.2 APFC

Optical drive

Pioneer DVR-215DBK 20X SATA DVD±RW DL Int Black - OEM

CPU cooler

Arctic Cooling AC-FRZ-7P Freezer 7 Pro Socket 775 Processor Cooler

Speakers

Logitech X-240 2.1 Speaker System - 25W RMS With MP3 Cradle for Sync/Charge/Play

Keyboard

Logitech G11 Gaming Keyboard - USB - UK

Mouse

Razer CopperHead Tempest Blue 2000DPI Gaming Mouse

OS

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English

Right ok i think that's all of it. Just a few questions:

1) I have a good idea of what i've picked out apart from the Mobo, i just looked for one that was roughly £70 that seemed to have on the whole good reviews, there was a gigabyte one too which cost basically the same, so not sure on this, if you know of a better choice that's still £70 or under that would be great

2) Ok so the Optical drive and Hard drive are OEM, which means no wires with em right? Since their both SATA2, do i have to buy two SATA( or SATA2 if they exist) cables or does my motherboard actually come with a few spare SATA cables for me( i was told this was the case with most boards)?

3) Obvious one, does it all fit together, will be able to hopefully play any RTS games for the next two years on high settings without too much slow down. I picked a Quad Core cos SupCom supports them and i guess others probably will to in time.

4) Obviously Vista doesn't give me Microsoft word and excel and such, i need to buy them myself i guess. Does Microsoft works,Microsoft Works - Licence and media - 1 user - OEM - CD - Win - English - Ebuyer, give me those?

ok that's it lol, so before i take the plunge and build my first ever Rig, criticize please but say in simple terms why anything is bad and what i should change to.

Microsoft works is just a lame copy of word etc. there's a place on the internet that offers alternatives to word ,excel and all that for free. they are actually quite good too.
www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite i think. the mobo is the one item u should change. the ip35 is getting old. get a p45 chipset mobo. ep45-ds3 by gigabyte, or if u have to get a abit p45, should be cheaper.

also with the hdd, get a western digital 640gb(better for wirte sped even thought only 16mb cache).

and yes oem means there will be no sata cords etc. but dont forget ur mobo will come with maybe 2. (check specs) otherwise there is no 'sata2" cables they are just called sata cables. any will do.

All the parts seem good, maybe a Xigmatek cpu cooler instead but looks good.
MS Works as stated is just abit stupid, youll need to buy Office 2003/2007 separately.

Microsoft works is just a lame copy of word etc. there's a place on the internet that offers alternatives to word ,excel and all that for free. they are actually quite good too.
www: OpenOffice.org - The Free and Open Productivity Suite i think. the mobo is the one item u should change. the ip35 is getting old. get a p45 chipset mobo. ep45-ds3 by gigabyte, or if u have to get a abit p45, should be cheaper.

also with the hdd, get a western digital 640gb(better for wirte sped even thought only 16mb cache).

and yes oem means there will be no sata cords etc. but dont forget ur mobo will come with maybe 2. (check specs) otherwise there is no 'sata2" cables they are just called sata cables. any will do.

THANK YOU for that link: ) I guess I m not alone when I say paying 180$ for Microsoft Office is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom