9550 core problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nagasama

disgruntled ex-moderator
hey guys this rig i am building for my friend/customer seems to have some problems.
core temp reads core 2 running almost 20*C less than core 1, and 10-12* less than cores 3 & 4.
when i turn the HSF the other direction (90*), low core is # 3, but #1 still stays hottest. i nkow this HSF works fine, as it is my old one and kept my q6600, e8400 and my current 9450 at level temps. its one of the xigmateks, not 1283, but the one with the downward facing fan)
im guessing that the IHS of the chip is not flat. i have reseated it 3 times, tried spreading AS5 on the HSF in the cracks of the copper pipes then on the chip, tried heavy layer on entire surface of chip, tried sigle line across the chip with none on the HSF (worst results...best results fom these direct-touch HS for me is a thin layer on the HSF, basically just filling in the gap between HS and pipe and a thin layer on entire cpu. like VERY thin), all to no avail.
looks like i will have to RMA this chip unless you all have any ideas. no, im not going to lap it.
temps (even on the hot core) are well within tolerance, but i dont want to send my customer a computer that "probably" will be okay. i want to send him one that meets MY standard for what i would build for myself.
any ideas? i think i will install the stock HSF to make sure it isn't the xigmatek. but its not, i am almost positive.

while im on this rant, i CANT BELIEVE i bought him a 780i instead of a p5q deluxe. i am really kicking myself in the *** for that...because it has a 30 day "non-refundable exchange policy"...you know why? because THEY KNOW it sucks. the vdroop is the worst i have EVER seen, the bios is crappy compared to my 140 dollar p5q pro, the NB fan is LOUD, and the cpu power connector is in a hard spot to get to if you aren't using a stock HSF. the list could go on and on....
in short, i do NOT recommend these boards AT ALL. it does look good, thats about it. and the manual is pretty good.
anyone want to buy a like-new 780i? lol.

well, newegg frikkin rocks.
i set up the RMA, no charge for shipping. +1
then, i told them about the vdroop and my dissatisfaction with the 780i and how i would surely like to return it for a p5q deluxe, but it had a non-refundable policy. well, they said "okay". and sent me a refund RMA for it PLUS a shipping label. +10
with the extra 50 bucks, i just ordered 2 x p5q deluxe, one for me one for my customer.
i will sell my pro on ebay for probably 120-150.
when i get it, we will see if it is my mobo stopped at 435 FSB, or the cpu heh heh heh.
i love you newegg.
goodbye nvidia motherboards. never again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom