Just Slap Me

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Power supply has nothing to do with SLI or Crossfire.

All it does is provide power.

2. Motherboards can run any ATi or Nvidia graphics card. You can run 1 4870x2 on an nvidia board and the opposite also applies.

I Highly suggest you read up on computers some more before you even consider buying this stuff.

Sorry guys. I need an honest opinion. I have now sean specks that rank the 9800 gx2 over the 4870 x2. I have seen specs that place the 4870 x2 over the 9800 gx2. Who should I trust, also keep in mind they both preform better in different operating systems. Vista the 4870 x2 is better, in XP the 9800 gx2 is better. Once I feel comfortable with the GPU, I can than just look at the brand to determine the best card. So lets focus on this. I also think XP will last longer than vista support, (thats why they call me crazy) lets just focus on the best in XP. 2010 they are already considering releasing another OS. One of these will have to stop being support.

Thanks I really do appreciate the help. So case 900, going back to the 9550 I have faith that it will exceed given better technology in t he up coming years(2), 2x2gb Ram, that leave GPU, MOBO, and PSU. I don't care about the PSU, as long it power great lol. I think the GPU will determine my mobo with socket LGA775. I don't think it would be wise to get an ATI card with an sli chipset.

The 900 is not a very great case to be honest...

the 4870x2 IS a better card. However you won't see it shine unless your gaming at resolutions higher than 1900x1200...

1. Power supply has nothing to do with SLI or Crossfire.

All it does is provide power.

2. Motherboards can run any ATi or Nvidia graphics card. You can run 1 4870x2 on an nvidia board and the opposite also applies.

I Highly suggest you read up on computers some more before you even consider buying this stuff.

I know that is the case, but why do they go out there way to say tested for sli, tested for crossfire? I know it is just a 6pin (or/and) 8pin that powers these chips and you need to match or be over the watts that is required.

At on time mobo did determine what you had by the way of crossfire or sli. AS if your motherboard did not support it you would be **** out of luck. I have no idea if all mobo would be vise versa. Also I know everything is PCI-E that is shipping new, but I also want to make sure no problems occur once i start combining parts.

If I was a guru about this stuff, I wouldn't be asking about it, I would just do it.

The 900 is not a very great case to be honest...

the 4870x2 IS a better card. However you won't see it shine unless your gaming at resolutions higher than 1900x1200...

I am not doing water cooling, so please suggest something else. I can read all about water cooling, understand it is better, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I am already wasting money, I never said I felt like really giving it away.

I know that is the case, but why do they go out there way to say tested for sli, tested for crossfire? I know it is just a 6pin (or/and) 8pin that powers these chips and you need to match or be over the watts that is required.

At on time mobo did determine what you had by the way of crossfire or sli. AS if your motherboard did not support it you would be **** out of luck. I have no idea if all mobo would be vise versa. Also I know everything is PCI-E that is shipping new, but I also want to make sure no problems occur once i start combining parts.

If I was a guru about this stuff, I wouldn't be asking about it, I would just do it.

You misunderstand what I meant about SLI and Crossfire.

An SLI board will not support Crossfire (multiple ati cards) however you can run one ati card just fine. In this case you would have no problem running a 4870x2.

A Crossfire board will only run a multi card ATi setup but will run a single 9800gx2 just fine.

Crossfire and SLI only refer to multi card setups.

The whole SLI or Crossfire certification is just a marketing gimmic. They pay ATI/Nvidia big bucks so they can slap a logo on it. Thats all it means.

So long as you buy a decent power supply, Corsair, BFG, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling. You'll be just fine and won't run into any problems.

Like I said before, go back and read some building guides.

I am not doing water cooling, so please suggest something else. I can read all about water cooling, understand it is better, I just don't feel comfortable with that. I am already wasting money, I never said I felt like really giving it away.

What the s*** are you talking about? I never even mentioned water cooling?!?!

If your going to be this difficult to deal with I'll delete my posts and leave.

You misunderstand what I meant about SLI and Crossfire.

An SLI board will not support Crossfire (multiple ati cards) however you can run one ati card just fine. In this case you would have no problem running a 4870x2.

A Crossfire board will only run a multi card ATi setup but will run a single 9800gx2 just fine.

Crossfire and SLI only refer to multi card setups.

The whole SLI or Crossfire certification is just a marketing gimmic. They pay ATI/Nvidia big bucks so they can slap a logo on it. Thats all it means.

So long as you buy a decent power supply, Corsair, BFG, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling. You'll be just fine and won't run into any problems.

Like I said before, go back and read some building guides.

What the s*** are you talking about? I never even mentioned water cooling?!?!

If your going to be this difficult to deal with I'll delete my posts and leave.

as far as the misunderstanding, if i am going to go with ati GPU, I am going to get a crossfire board. if i am going to an Nvidia I am going to get an SLI board. I understand perfectly I am getting one card that can run on any board.

Also I was just letting you know, and it might have came out wrong I apologize. That I don't feel comfortable with water cooling. That was just an FYI, so if you were going to suggest anything make sure it is fan based. It would have been a waste of your time suggesting something, that I wasn't interested in. Just like it would be a waste of time in someone telling me to get an 8800 cause it is the best performance/buck, I just really want the best for 1500. So if you think I am being difficult sorry to ruin your night/day.

Just because I'm the self proclaimed "Water Cooling Guru" doesn't mean I would even consider forcing it upon anyone or even suggest it to somebody with as little experience with computers as you.

All I ask is that your posts make sense, and you listen to the advice given you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom