my computer totaly dead??!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasmac3490

Beta member
<SOLVED>my computer totaly dead??!??

ok heres a long story of what happened to my computer. I was fixing some hardware errors. And so I took all the parts out of my computer. I left my vid card, sound card, both ethernet cards, my processor, and ram on the floor for a few min. But before that i took my cpu fan off and it pulled my pentium 4 right out of the socket without the lever going up. the cpu was so hot it got stuck to the fan. so after all and all i put everything back together right and put a new fan on and then nothing worked....I heard this electrical noise like a zip-zap-zip. so im like NO!!!. So do you guys think its my ram? processor? motherboard? or everything/ anything else? Because when I plug my computer in the 2 leds on the motherboard go on but not the front panel led(s). So if anyone could tell me i would greatly appreciate that. im so sad im stuck on this laptop:(.

it sounds liek it was your CPU...if you have a friends CPU you can get a hold of, try putting that in and see if it works.

Generally its a good idea to wait awhile after turning your comp off so it has time to cool down. However, it might have been excess use of thermal paste that caused your CPU to stick to the heatsink.

1]Key word's
"my processor, and ram on the floor for a few min. "
Not to sound harsh this is a NO-NO. ESD damage can occur this way.

2]Seen P4's pull from socket this way with no damage.

3] Not suggested to borrow a CPU for testing. If M/B has a problem and fries borrowed CPU you are out 2 chips.

4] Look at tops of all capcators near CPU. If they are crowned they are blown.

5] Check your CPU fan connection. Some systems will not let you boot if M/B does not read the CPU fan as on.

6] Remove all components except 1 memory chip, video card. No mouse/keyboard and attempt to boot. If successful add 1 component at a time till you get failure.

What was your orginal hardware issue? What you did to correct the problem may not have caused this, it may have already been on it's way.

Bill

That doesn happen with the bigger size chip, thing you gotta worry if you pull it out that way is the prongs under the cpu it be broken or bent, but sound to me like you got it in fine so then I'm ruling out bent. test you ram on another computer, and if you have no way of testing the cpu and MB yourself then take it in to shop to get it tested, it does not cost alot for at all. To get it tested that is.

I'm thinking you fried your cpu, mobo or both. Try a new CPU, see if it boots, try a new mobo see if it boots, and then try new both.

If i had to guess your completely fried you CPU. For future refernece NEVER sit computer componets on carpet. You need to get an anti-static mat or atleast a piece of wood, something that wont carry and electric charge. And your cpu didnt melt your fan, it was the thermal compound that goes on the CPU to give the heatsink better cooling efficency.

ummm

this comp was a stupid mistake of mine.... cuz i never applyed the thermal compound..but im hopping its the M/b so im gonna buy one tomarrow. maybe some ram just to be sure. but if i need a cpu im dead cuz they cost to much. I know i have to get a new mobo cuz it wasn't working my friends dad told me(he works with comps) so i kinda took off the top of te socket... so i looked in and everything was /\metal things but one in the corner was like || are they suppose to be like /\ or is the || ok? and ty guys for the replys

ok I fixed it nevermind.

thanks anyway but i got it working, i added some solder to a bent piece inside the cpu socket and it works. But another problem was, that if the floppy drive was connected it stopped the computer from booting into windows.... idk why I had nothing in it and it was setup right, buit i guess it was just old and time to be put away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom