Crash after RAM upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Total Immortal

In Runtime
I'm on a PowerBook G4 1.5Ghz. I just maxed out my RAM to 2Gigs (2 X 1 sticks of Crucial PC2700 (not cheap stuff). Was running great for about 10 minutes, and then BAM (see attached picture).

Let me back up a sec. Sometime ago (no idea how long ago), my computer stopped recognizing the 2nd of two 256 meg chips of RAM that came from Apple when I bought it (I didn't realize this until a week or so ago). So I have been functioning on only 256 megs of ram. When I installed the new ram, both chips were detected and running fine.. until the crash. When the computer crashed I was listening to iTunes and ironically started a thread here on tech-forums (I took a picture, but tech-forums uploader doesn't think I'm trying to upload an image file, for some reason..). ANYWAYS, now only one chip is being recognized (according to the System Profiler, only the "upper" ram slot has anything installed in it).

Well, it's been nearly 30 minutes, and its running ok. I'm considering swapping the memory chips to see if it is the cheap, or the location. But what can I do if the bay is bad?

Hello,

I would have to say it is the location. Unless there is something wrong with the install of OS X. But most of the time it is either the RAM is not seated correctly or there is a problem with the mobo slot for that RAM.

Cheers,
Mak

40 minutes and 6 crashes later, I have removed the chip from the lower slot (my ram is stacked vertically) and it appears to be working so far.. Really wish I had that 2nd gig though :( I guess I'm going to call Apple and see what can be done..

It sounds like a duffed ram stick pal, got another comp to test it in?

well i'm not computer pro
but it sounds like the same problem that my brother's computer had. So according to the fixer he said that the 2Rams aren't compatible with each other. and so he just took one of the ram out and it was wala fixed...and we paid $100 for that =.=

In windows there is memory checker program. You can write this thing on a cd and boot from the CD and it will check memory...I'm not sure of Mac. Will search and found anything will post.

Sam

You are talking about MemTest86. It should work on a Mac as well as it is a bootable disc. It doesnt require Windows, OS X or even Linux to be installed to run.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom