4850 screwing around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, um, how do I measure resistance? Like where on the pcb and what settings with the DMM?

Oh and I was reading this..
RBE 1.13 is out and allows checksum correct flash. - XtremeSystems Forums

It says you can unlock the overdrive in CCC for way higher clocks. Do you still think I should just flash the clocks into the bios? Idc, if the unlocking overdrive really effects it then I'm sure I can just flash the clocks in.

yeah I haven't been able ot get that unlocking thing in RBE to work properly without messing up all the other values in the bios.

and you measure resistance across the resistor that you are shading! set the DMM to read resistance, usually an ohm symbol or something...get it to display a few places past the decimal pt and then measure. Stock is 1.7 or 1.8 ohms, somewhere around there.

thx :p

I'll fool around with RBE when I get home in an hour.

Game Plan:
Flash to your bios
Measure Voltage idle + load
If voltage is below 1.3 (It should be) I'll take it out and shade the **** out of it and measure the resistance
When I get about 1ohm, then I'll make happy time with my gpu
I find max clocks or good clocks.
I fiddle around with this RBE and then set my clocks on it.
I make more happy time with my gpu, how about 1920/1200 tf2 gameplay till 12am?

Hmm, with your bios I am currently getting 1.17 vcore load..I think something is wrong.

Oh no my mistake, your bios works great. It seems that when I'm at 100% gpu load it THEN goes up to 1.21 just like you said. Thanks! I'll do some quick testing and then ONTO MORE PENCIL MODING!

(btw, earlier this year I was scared to open up my case, *sob* and now I'm sawing heatsinks in half and drawing cute stick figures on my gpu's pcb, *sniffle* I'm so proud of myself)

P.S. Whats good temps for my gpu memio ( i guess my memory), because that comes up as my hottest temp wise in gpu-z on load. I'll probably order some nice ram sinks (You have any you suggest?) soon. Or should I chop up my stock copper heatsink more?

1.17? Are you sure? What are you using to put the gpu to full load?

And do the clocks change to 700 or 500 during 3d use.

Guru, it's working perfect. I just scribbled the **** out of my card and now I got 1.28vgpu load and your 300mhz 3d works great, with around 1.0vcore.

just tested 750/1000, the only thing of concern to me right now is my memory temps.... I hit 60C's and it's only at 1000. Granted, my ambient temps right now are making me sweat... but still. Any recommended cheap heatsinks? Not too tall so they can work my accelero :p. Cause by the time I'm ready to OC my memory they should be here.

I'm going to take the card out one more time today and scribble my heart out and see if I can get 1.32vgpu.

Just got 14,763 with a 3.6 q6600 and 750/1000.
ORB - Compare

I had a scare that I thought I had artifacts before the CPU test but for some reason my 4850 acts funny with 3dmark06... compared to how my 8800gt acted.

I'm sure with my q6600 clocked at 3.9 or 4ghz (probably just 3.9, since that is the highest I can get for safe daily voltages and I don't need to do any "suicide" runs) + a few more mhz I can easily beat my old 3dmark06 score with my 8800gt.

now at 780/1000 stable, ok, pencil mod time again after a few mintues of stability testing.

Ya, I played through a game of tf2 with 780/1000, I'll do a 3dmark06 run really quick and then we will do the pencil mod... hehe tf2 <3 maxed out, I definatly get MUCH better frame rates AND I'm on 1920/1200, the 4850 really shines with lots of AA to.

780/1000 3dmark06
ORB - Compare

So only 600 points away from my 8800 gt score, with a lower clocked q6600. AND it's actually my 24/7 settings instead of my *on the edge of artifacting* 8800gt settings.

So ya, I just scribbled as hard as I could (or wanted too) And it didn't go up from 1.28. So if you think I should gurusan I would like to go for the 2nd pencil mod

vddc_pencil2.jpg

Any advice for this one? Is it pretty straight forward... just draw stick figures on the PCB until you have 1.4v's?

I'm still at 780/1000, SO CLOSE to 800 grr :p

AND finally, the last edit of the day

I got RBE, but I don't want to change the settings to 780/1000 just yet because I see so many 700/1000's that I got confused. So thanks for the help, 780/1000 is good for today :D

for ramsinks I would look for thermaltake sinks, they are cheap and very good. The copper ones best but the blue aluminum ones are great too, they are what I use.

It looks like newegg is out but just search for the product code (CL-C0025) and you should find people with them in stock.

Copper
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-C0025 RAM Heatsink - VGA Cooling

Aluminum
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-C0026 RAM Heatsink - VGA Cooling

Also do you have anything on your VRMs?

As for the 2nd pencil mod, be very careful with this one as it's way more sensitive...just a few strokes can shoot it up to 1.7-1.8v if you are not careful. Just shade in between the 2 contacts to join them up and then measure the resistance. Start by bringing it down to no lower than 5 ohms....then boot up and measure the vGPU.

...and with RBE....if you want to change the 3d clocks then just hit the "locked" button and adjust clocks 3 and 7.

Thx. I cut my stock heatsink in half and then put some tx-2 inbetween the copper and the VRM's. So I should be pretty good there right? Otherwise I'll order some more heatsinks if you really think I need them.

I'll try playing around with this stuff tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom