Brand new HP Pavillion s3514 broken....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey carnage!

Wow that sounds cool and I reckon I could probably do that.
So just to clarify... I would remove the Hard Drive from the PC, put it in one of those external case thingys and hook it up to the laptop just like an external hard drive?
Yep, that's essentially what you'd need to do. You'd be turning your internal drive into an external drive.

I have just done a google search for a hard drive external enclosure / SATA and there seems to be different sorts.
2.0 2.5 3.0 etc, which one would I need ?
Like surgeVel said, you'll need an enclosure for 3.5" drives. Since you're not from the US, you won't be able to use Newegg (I'm assuming you're not from the US, because the model of the PC I pulled up was only for UK/It). So you should be able to go to an electronics store, or a computer shop near you and see if they ahve one, otherwise you'll have to order one online.

So I could then remove all my files and photos to the laptop, put the Hard drive back in the PC and send it back for repair or replacement?

Bex
x
Yep, exactly. Just make sure you get all of your important documents before you send it in (triple check yourself to be sure).

Thanks Jorsoft... I have just ordered one!

My very final question...lol... is once I have all my business files off it and onto my laptop.... I dont want them to be on that machine when I send it in for repair. I think it is likely they'll just give me a new one anyway, So how can I get rid of all my financial info, acocunts info and business files off that hdd for good? Everything apart from the keys to my house is in that machine and I don't want any criminal down the line getting hold of it when they buy my refurbed PC! I'm worried about what to wipe off because i don't have any reinstallation discs... the backup was integrated. I don't want to send it in for repair and then they think i have been messing round with it!

Thank you in advance
Bex

x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom