Questions about loss of ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

bukwus

Baseband Member
Hello

I work on a web site that is, essentially, repeated for each state with state-specific content in portions of the site.
Also, we are almost finished with a site re-design/re-development that is located on a different server. A portion of the new site's completed content is being displayed live in an i-frame on another company's site.

Question 1: On the current site, are we reducing our potential search engine ranking by having duplicate pages for each state, essentially competing with ourselves?

Question 2: Did we further reduce our ranking by having the new pages displayed while the old pages are still up?

Many thanks

Google (and other search engines) seems to dislike duplicate content and, from what I hear from SEO folks, punishes the web pages that it believes copied the content by only showing results for the website that it believes is the originator of the content. I do not believe that this will hurt you with your own pages on the same website, but having duplicate content on other websites will hurt your SE results.

I have had numerous webmasters write to me asking why their web pages reduced in ranking or just do not appear in the search engine results page even though they directly search for terms that should yield their page. More often than not, a quick visit to their site reveals that they have created a web page that is not search engine friendly.
The first thing you should note about search engines is that their software can only read text. When I say text, I don't mean text that you embed in an image or text that you place inside a Flash file or those that appear in a video.
Notice the "alt" part in the example HTML code above. Here, I described the image as a picture of a search engine ready website. You should of course replace that text with a brief description of what your image really shows. While search engines cannot actually see your picture, they can read your "alt" text and will include that in their index for your web page.

Many search engines give additional weightage to the text appearing in the HTML <TITLE> tag for your page. Note that this is not the title that you see in the body of your web page. Rather, it is the non-visible text in the HTML code that the browser uses to display in the title bar of the browser window. The search engines use that tag as part of its algorithm to determine what your page is about.

I think that google changes the algorithm and that will be quite obivious situation for many web masters.

If you sell your links to non-relevent websites you can get a hit in your PR. If your site is becoming more spammy than before then you'll get hit. There are numerous reasons, you just have to build a strong whitehat site, write lots of articles then support those articles through the social bookmarking sites. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Unique content plays an important role for getting better ranking in SERP, try to put few keywords at important places, dont link to spammy sites rather link for relevant sites and get backlinks from relevant sites. SEO is on going process and should be concentrated for getting better Search engine traffic...
All the best :)

Hello

I work on a web site that is, essentially, repeated for each state with state-specific content in portions of the site.
Also, we are almost finished with a site re-design/re-development that is located on a different server. A portion of the new site's completed content is being displayed live in an i-frame on another company's site.

Question 1: On the current site, are we reducing our potential search engine ranking by having duplicate pages for each state, essentially competing with ourselves?

Question 2: Did we further reduce our ranking by having the new pages displayed while the old pages are still up?

Many thanks

1.Google treats duplicate pages with the issues of cloaking, mirroring, etc. It is not advisable to duplicate pages on search engines.
2.No, i dont think that uploading of new pages would reduce the ranks of old pages. There can be Page Ranking issues but its better that if you upload new pages, make it unique with good content.

I think that google changes the algorithm and that will be quite obivious situation for many web masters.

Google does change the algorithm but if there are drop in rankings, it would happen with all. It may or may not be true. Gogle ago doesn't depend on just one thing, its collabaration of so many factors. I have seen websites with poor onpage / off page optimization ranked well in search engines. I think number of hits also play an important role in search engines.

Just my views, feel free to disagree.

If you sell your links to non-relevent websites you can get a hit in your Page Ranking. If your site is becoming more spammy than before then you'll get hit. There are numerous reasons, you just have to build a strong whitehat site, write lots of articles then support those articles through the social bookmarking sites. Its a lot of work but worth it in the end.

Sorry Jennycho, i disagree with you here. First of all Google de-values buying of links. A white hat consists of so many points which are impossible to explain in one go. Black hat techniques are seen as seen as ' Devil ' in Google eyes. Have you heard about grey hat techniques? That also exist and smetimes makes a big impact to your serps ranking .

Search engine is the process of getting up to date with Serps ' new girl '. You have to kip urself updated with new online marketing techniques that can have a huge impact on your rankings.

Writing lots of articles can be time consuming and write quality articles is worth of time. You talked about social bookmarking, sorry mate you need people to bookmark that articles. Bookmarking your articles urself won't give you a better chance to rank. Write a quality article and get it read by people and prove them that it makes sense.

Unique content plays an important role for getting better ranking in SERP, try to put few keywords at important places, dont link to spammy sites rather link for relevant sites and get backlinks from relevant sites. Search Engine Optimization is on going process and should be concentrated for getting better Search engine traffic...
All the best :)

Quite right that search engines treat unique content as Angel. Its better to get a one way link to your site though it won't hurt to exchange links with relevant sites. There is lot more to do except link building. We have to follow the way Serps move.

:rolleyes:

Hai,

Use some more backlinks..
Also do Search Engine Optimization work in all bookmarking websites..

Thank you

What do you mean by search engine optimization work in bookmarking websites? How would you do it other than bookmarking and placing paid ads like on facebook? Please explain.

What do you mean by search engine optimization work in bookmarking websites? How would you do it other than bookmarking and placing paid ads like on facebook? Please explain.

I presume he meant "submit your sit eon social bookmarking sites" but that has almost nothing to do with SEO and more to do with online marketing.

However duplicate content "might" be a reason to devalue your currently ranking page, but not necessary has to be that way. Either way the page that is already ranking will continue to rank in case another with the same content won't get more inbound links. If the "duplicate" content page is in your current site, you can now use the anchor tag rel="canonical" which will tell the search engines that the page you are linking is "duplicate" and the content already exists in another page to which you want the search engine to give more value. This was just as explanation.

Btw, the new pages were displayed in the same domain or in a secondary domain? If it's on the same domain then you do realize that the URL of the "new" page is different from the URL of the old page (might want to consider to 301 redirect the old URL to the new page's URL).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom