2 Sata Drives??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaundale

Baseband Member
Hi,
Had a Sata drive installed last year when upgraded to ne Mobo. Haven't had problem untill last week when i tried to install SBK08. It wouldn't run, then tried it on friends PC, No problem. Then looked at another game that stopped working about a month ago when I upgraded my Graphics Card, thought it funny but didn't really use much so wasn't worried. Looked to be a file problem in windows so wanted a new HDD anyway, bought 2nd Sata.

Managed to install Win XP Hme onto it last week finally transfered the Media files across that I wanted to the new Drive so thought it OK to Format the OLD drive and use that as Storage. Once the old Drive was Formated I could Boot. Removed the old drive so only new drive in pc BUT an error kept coming up about DML, I Think. IT WOULDN'T BOOT Though!! I have a perfectly good Drive and windows Install on the new Drive I just Don't know how to get access to it.
Would it be poss to make it bootable? I've just installed Win XP on Old drive just to get into windows, DON'T really want to go through the Activation and redownloading the Music/Games etc.

I've NEVER had a problem running 2 or More IDE's Just jumper the Drive you want as the Main, Wish I could do that with the Sata's It seems that The OLD drive IS Always the Master!!! Don't know how to change this.

Please tell me there's an easy fix???
Thanks,
Shaun.

I believe in order to set the new drive as the master it's necessary to boot into your BIOS and change the boot order so that you boot from the new drive first.

I believe that that should fix the problem. Not messed with SATA's a lot but when I was considering putting an IDE drive in with my primary SATA this is what I was advised to do.

Hope it helps.

With SATA there are no master or slave drives. No jumpers, nothing like that. Just the controller. So in order to boot to the other drive you will need to change which SATA controller it is connected to. There should be controller 0 through say 3 (if you have 4 SATA connectors on your MB). Just connect the drive with the OS to the first controller. Since you had a SATA drive working perfectly before, just switch which controller they are connected to and that shoudl resolve your issue (assuming you have an OS on the new drive).

What Lexluethar said.

Change your SATA connections over on your Mobo, Just swapping them around should resolve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom