1 out of 2 dvd drives working

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I just put in a second dvd drive in which is ide... and my original is sata. When I boot up I only have access to the ide drive. What could I do to have two working drives? I looked in my bios but didn't see anything that stood out.

Try downloading the drivers for the drive from the manufacturer's website, install them, then try it. The BIOS should Auto-Detect... does it recognize there's a drive there?
Is there anything else on that IDE cable? Make sure one is set to master and one is set to slave.

The sata drive will not have a master/slave selection so you don't have to worry about that.

Take the IDE drive out and have a look at it. If it is the only drive on the IDE cable then make sure that the jumper setting is to master, if the cable is shared then set the jumper to slave.

Plug back in with cable and power. If you still can't get it to recognise in BIOS the you might have a faulty cable, or if you have the power plug in and you can't open/close the drive then you have a faulty drive.

What motherboard are you using. Some entry level all in one motherboard have have been know to have the ATA channel between SATA and IDE to overlap.

Eg.
Channel 1 - Primary Master
Channel 2 - Primary Slave
Channel 3 - Secondary Master / SATA 0
Channel 4 - Secondary Slave / SATA 1
Channel 5 - SATA 2
Channel 6 - SATA 3

Therefore if you have any thing on Secondary Master, you will not be able to use your SATA 0 port.

I'll check the jumpers on the IDE drive... It is the only drive on the cable and drivers were installed before for my sata. I'm assuming I'll have to change it to slave to work with the sata. That's if the drive was set to master...

No if it is the only drive on that cable then it should be set to Master, regardless of whether you have a sata drive or not.

Nitestick could be right, right click my computer, and go manage. Then go to disk management and see if you can see the drive there, if so change the drive letter.

Hmm... not in the device manager. I'll try each one separate and then see if it makes any difference.

Haha... Finally got time to look things over. I forgot I am using the sata cable for another one of drives. Thanks for everyones help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom