Priming your thermal paste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtis

In Runtime
I've heard, I don't know if it's true, that it's good to prime your thermal paste by running Prime95 for some hours and then lettings it cool down and turning off your machine, then doing it again. I just applied a new thing of paste so I wanna prime it as fast as possible before I start getting into heavier OCs. I'm only at 2.8 GHz right now on my Q6600, but for some reason my default voltage was set super high to 1.384, would it be bad to actually turn down the voltage to lower my temps if it doesn't cause instability?

Also how long do you guys usually run Prime95 to test temps and stability. It's been going for about 2 and a half hours for me with no errors or comp resets. My temps are slowly getting higher as time goes.

as i told you in your other post, i'm sure you could lower those voltages a lot before it would cause any issues. going to 2.8ghz shouldn't need a voltage increase at all...so i have no clue why it's set so high...just start taking it down in increments of around .05 and then maybe .025 until it starts getting unstable..then keep it at the voltage that works

The only thermal paste that needs to be allowed to set is Arctic Silver 5.

It takes about 2 weeks of thermal cycling for it to reach its peak performance.

All other pastes will work as good as they will ever get immediately after application.

well i have AS5, cuz i heard it was the best. so i guess i will have to let it set for 2 week before going into my big OC. When you say thermal cycling is that getting it hot for a few hours then letting it cool off? like i was talking about in the original post? I'm guessing so.

Is AS5 better than those other pastes after setting? I don't know why i heard that it's the best, but i did.

and hammer - i forgot you suggested that in the other post, i suppose i will start lowering those voltages slowly to try and see what i can get to at a stable running. Thanks again, man.

AS5 used to be regarded as the best, that title now has gone to MX-2 and TX-2 pastes. They are non conductive, offer improved performance over AS5, and don't require time to set to achieve optimal performance.

AS5 used to be regarded as the best, that title now has gone to MX-2 and TX-2 pastes. They are non conductive, offer improved performance over AS5, and don't require time to set to achieve optimal performance.

But what's the difference really? Like 1 or 2 degrees?

Also, does anyone know how much of a difference lapping makes, in terms of temperature? I would think it couldn't be anymore than 1 or 2 degrees.

But what's the difference really? Like 1 or 2 degrees?

Also, does anyone know how much of a difference lapping makes, in terms of temperature? I would think it couldn't be anymore than 1 or 2 degrees.

Its probably more than that.. (can't give a specific number because it really varies)

But there's more to lapping besides good temps, it helps make a concave between the CPU Cooler and CPU for better contact between them. (usually it works best for large heatsinks)

I have the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, is that considered large?

What are the best regarded heatsinks around here?

the true was great for a long time, until a few months ago when then rifle came out, it is a few temps lower then the true but is only $35, and can be found cheaper, the tuniq was also pretty good until the rifle came out, the tuniq cools a few degrees lower then the rifle. The ocz vendetta is supposed to cool at par or a little better then the true but i think it's quite expensive, i have never actually checked though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom