How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

Status
Not open for further replies.
re: How to keep WinXP really fast & stable

probably all of it.

I sent creative control panel and sync manger, hp printer junk, ominpage,nero, installishield, java, ms keyboard, adobe reader, photoshop, itunes, quicktime, office, corel, palm pilot, greeting workshop, etc.

you don't need that stuff running in the background slowing up your computer

I personally think the ez ca eztrust is a virus

leave windows defender

Eric, Does tweak now or customize XP really help speed up any XP PC? Also, If i use one of them do I need to do anything special with it, like customize something or do I just D/L it and run it? Thanks in advance.

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. The e-trust stuff is my anti-virus program, one I've been using for years. It updates daily or more, and I run the spybot programs, etc., to verify the system is clean. Never had a problem, so I think I'll keep it.

As far as the rest, how do I keep the message regarding "selective start-up" from popping up whenever I boot up the computer with these things un-checked? Does this happen to you, or is my system unique in this respect for some reason?

Cheers! Mike

Uhhhh, forgive me for my ignorance (and as my sign-on implies, I am a newbie), but what box should I check? Can you walk me through this, pretty please?

it say something like

don't show this message when windows start and there's a check box next to it

Eric, Does tweak now or customize XP really help speed up any XP PC? Also, If i use one of them do I need to do anything special with it, like customize something or do I just D/L it and run it? Thanks in advance.

if you hover around each feature it will explain it to you

also if you have spybot installed in the top under mode switch it to advanced mode. Then click tools & startup. You can uncheck startup entries there and windows will not alert you next time you reboot.

Just be carefull not to untick any of the WinLogon entries or you won't be able to reboot into windows.

also if you have spybot installed in the top under mode switch it to advanced mode. Then click tools & startup. You can uncheck startup entries there and windows will not alert you next time you reboot.

Just be carefull not to untick any of the WinLogon entries or you won't be able to reboot into windows.

hum...

that's nice to know

So macdawg and/or Eric,

I do have Spybot and checked my start-up entries there. I take it you're saying anything that starts "C:\WINDOWS" I probably should leave checked, correct? Because I don't see anything that has "WinLogon" in the command line.

Also, for your viewing pleasure, I have linked to a couple snapshots of my Spybot system start-up page here:

Our Gallery of Photos

Would you mind taking a look at the entries and tell me if there is anything else I shouldn't un-check? It looks like there are a few different things here than showed up on the start-up tab under msconfig, like all those dll files.........

And if you feel like it, check out the rest of my website (shameless promotion...heh, heh)!

Thanks, and cheers! Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom