How to retain the battery life

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0mmun1st4lyf3

In Runtime
Any suggestions? Such as leaving it plugged in; leaving it plugged in until its fully charged then pull it out until it's back to 10 percent; leaving it charged overnight... etc?

Back in the day you were suggested to run the battery ALL THE WAY down - meaning your laptop turns off b/c of no power. Then let it charge to 100% while turned off, then let it run down again.

From what I've read this is no longer applicable with newer batteries(Lithium-ion batteries). Back in the day (less than 5 years ago) batteries had a memory module, where if you didn't allow it to die all the way down and charge all the way up the battery would actually 'think' it had less battery life then it actually did. Essentially shortening the lifespan and battery minutes of the battery.

With todays laptops this isn't the case. Double check the battery type, but if it is a newer battery you can't do much to 'prolonge' the life of the battery other than keeping it away from extreme heats.

There no two cells within a battery that are identical. So it is important to never allow a battery to fully discharge as the more stronger cells will reverse discharge the weakest cell. This will shorten the battery life.

I use my battery as an UPS since my laptop is always running off of the AC adapter. Once a month I pull the plug and allow the battery drain to about 8 % before restoring power. I have Windows set to power down if the battery reaches 5%. The same battery has been going strong now for about 2 years.

yeah, this happens to me too. Once disconnected my laptop will only stay up for less than 2 minutes lol.

But then again my laptop is almost 3 or4 years old. Maybe its time to get a new battery.

I just leave my battery out of my laptop all the time, as its usually jus tplugged into AC...don't need the battery to get unnecessarily hot while its plugged in all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom