Weird characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

slvrstang

Daemon Poster
Any time there is supposed to be a 0 displayed onscreen it is displayed as a box. I have been having many errors lately and i cannot even run an online virus scan because it says there was an error updating virus profiles. I have run adaware and found nothing.

*sigh*

Ok, it is in My Computer for all the drives it says "drive name" then a box around the letter like C then :) when is should just be (C:) but the first ( is gone and the C is enclosed. Also in the start menu it has boxes around anything that should be a 0 or O. I didn't get a chance to check wordpad because i TRIED to reinstall because this is a new computer. Well that failed horridly.

So, i brought my other computer over. I plugged in the HD and installed using that, worked perfectly. Plugged the HD back into the broken Computer and tried to install windows...no go. So the HD is ok.

Then i decided, ok lets test the CPU. I pulled out the CPU (Athlon 64 3000+ newcastle). Slammed it into my other computer which has the same mobo (K8v Se deluxe) and as soon as i turned it on. it gave me "cpu not detected" but i restarted and it works fine. I passed that off as a first time initialization. But when windows loaded it said "the registry was repaired using a log or backup copy, repair was successfull" it has said this EVERY time i start up the working computer with the, i now think broken CPU the athlon 3000+. So i think the processor is faulty.

But here's the good part, i figured why not since i have them out, put the athlon 64 3200+ (working) into the broken computer. I put it in and turn it on with the Windows XP CD inside. I get an error "NTLDR is missing-press Ctrl-alt-del to restart" which i received before with the 3000+ in it. So i enter the BIOS and lo and behold only ONE of my CD drives is displayed and it's all Fed up. It says Lite-on-"some letters then triangles and squares." the slave drive doesnt show up at all. So i now think the motherboard is broken as well.

Cliff notes-Tested HD, Mobo, Processor with working counterparts

HD-passed
Mobo-failed
Processor-failed

WTF this are all brand new parts from Newegg.

And the thing that really gets me is the ram they sent to me only runs at 333mhz instead of 400, its supposed to be PC3200. So add

Ram-failed

i have to send back THREE friken important ass parts, if you can't tell i'm quite angry and excuse any rudeness, i've been messing with this for 5 hours straight.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Since the components worked to start with, maybe you would want to check the power supply, or what else that could be causing overheat

derrmc said:
Since the components worked to start with, maybe you would want to check the power supply, or what else that could be causing overheat

...There is no Overheat

Mobo- 32C
CPU- 35C

Also, i switched out the IDE cable for the CD drives and now they are displayed correctly in the bios so i think the motherboard is ok but i am still worried about the CPU.

Are there any testing programs that can test for CPU errors?

The ram was DDR400 and i installed it at DDR333 becaus 400 wouldn't work. Then i decided well i might as well yank a stick outa my other computer (it has 2x512 DDR400 XMS corsairs) and i put that in and it made no difference. Still wouldn't install at DDR400 but it would run after installed at DDR400 but got random restarts constantly and it had to recover the registry multiple times. I am in the process of getting replacement ram and CPU. Hope that fixes the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom