Overclocking an Nvidia 8600GT GPU - Clock settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmoussa87

Baseband Member
Hi all,
I am inexperienced at overclocking but have read up on some tutorial, those specifically aimed at overclocking this card. Overclocking appears to be more of an art rather than a science, as there is no fixed amount of overclocking capabilities, more like trial and error, for each situation is different. Anyway, i want to overclock my 8600GT to get a little more performance out of it because i like playing games in native 1680x1050 resolution and it is very taxing on the GPU, especially at higher settings.

I am using this Tom's Hardware article to help me overclock.
Legion Hardware
He mentions that the stock standard setting for an 8600gt card should be 540/700 - core and memory, respectively. "If you have a non-factory overclocked 8600 GT graphics card the frequencies should read 540MHz for the core and 700MHz (1400MHz DDR) for the memory."
However, after i installed the Nvidia overclocking utility it states that my current default GPU clock settings are 540/400mhz!!!
Either my card is seriously crap and underpowered or maybe it is intentionally underclocked(but i am clueless as why a manufacturer would want to do that). Would that fact that i have the 1gig memory 8600gt make any difference on these default clock settings? My card is an "XpertVision 1gig 8600gt". If anyone could provide some advice or help i would appreciate as i don't want to commence overclocking until i find out why my clock settings for my memory are so low!

well I have a xfx geforce 8600 GT 256mb ddr3 and I have OC'ed that a lil bit. Same specs, but less memory. download ATI tool and use that to OC. u can do stress tests, and its very simple to OC, just slide up the mhz.

well I have a xfx geforce 8600 GT 256mb ddr3 and I have OC'ed that a lil bit. Same specs, but less memory. download ATI tool and use that to OC. u can do stress tests, and its very simple to OC, just slide up the mhz.

I didn't know the 8600gt came in DDR3!?
what is your bus transfer? mine is DDR2 128bit - the main limitation of my card.
Do you think it would be advisable to use ATI software for overclocking because it is an Nvidia GPU and they have their own software? is ATI software better or something? I heard those 'stress tests' are only a crude diagnostics tool and that in addition to this you need to use 3dmark and play some 3d games on high settings to get a true indication of overclocking stability. My knowledge is limited on this subject though, i am a noob to the whole concept of overclocking.

I used ATI tool it doesn't matter at all. But yea, those stress tests aren't full-proof, you'll want to do some intense gaming and you can do the 3dmark as well.

Riva Tuner is the overclocker of choice. Now, I do not know why your reading is so low, but I would try Riva Tuner and use it to change the settings first to 540/700 and then try to OC further if those settings work. It sounds like your card is a lesser known brand that may have chosen a slower reference design to save costs.

Hey guys, so far i have overclocked to a modest 670/440 without any problems. That is around a 20% increase on core clock speeds, and 10% for the memory. I am getting a higher FPS in Q4 already. I am pleased with the prelimary results. Will refine this overclock over the next few days to squeeze more performance out of my card. However, i don't want to overclock my card too heavily, i want to keep peak temperature well under 70C because i want my GPU to last me a few years.

Rivatuner is nice, but it gets confusing sometimes for starters. Go google guides for fan profiles and such and they usually give some good detail on OC'ing.

NVM, just use this one
RivaTuner 2.0 fan speed & Overclock Guide

I used it and even I understood.

Sweet, this is what i've been looking for for this program. I'm gonna have to try this out.

Anyone know what how much I should be able to OC an eVGA 8800GTS 640MB DDR2?

under 70c's should be perfectly fine, If i'm not mistaken under 80C's is the spot to aim for.

And nice, a 20% OC isn't bad.

I've heard some varied reports as to what is the maximum thermal load a GPU can handle - claims as low as 60 to 90 Celcius, as a safe load. Most people have recommended around 70 C but i guess i might be able to push 80 C without ill consequences. Currently it only maxes 61 C on full load in Q4. Hmmm...maybe if i overload the GPU i can take it back to the computer store where i bought my new PC from and tell them it just stopped working, subsequently paying a little more and getting an 9600GT or 9800GT in the process :cool:. Since there is no way for a manufacturer or vendor to prove a card fault due to overclocking i should be able to get away with it. I'm just annoyed that i bought my card in early July, just before all these exciting and new 9 series cards hit the market and at reasonable prices. When does it end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom