need some help deciding what to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Chipmonk

Beta member
Ok, hi guys, i biult my computer 2 years ago and havnt upgraaded it since...so i am going to be upgrading it really soon, so i need some help in deciding in what would work good together. ive already chosen the PSU(more suggestiosn would be appreciated) and video card im sure of,same with CPU. i just need reccomendations on the mobo and RAM and all. heres what i have pciked out already.

CPU: Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Vid Card: Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXPOCE GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 100 - 240 V UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC - Power Supplies (suggestion for better ones would be appreciated)

Mobo: need recomendations (i dont want really expensive one, maybe $220 and below?

RAM: again not really expensive RAM, money is an issue.

Thanks any help would be appreciated, i do alot of PC gaming, and am planning on getting Crysis and high end games.

well i already have good fan and thermal grease anyway, and thank you, the the mobo looks good and cpu looks good too im more of an AMD guy though, ram is looks good too, now i can upgrade my rig for an even better price that i orgionally thought, thanks.:laughing:

You can get a 4850 for cheaper:
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GV-R485-512H-B Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
it has approximately the same performance of the 9800 GTX+

As far as AMD boards go, this is a very good board:
Newegg.com - Foxconn A7DA-S AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
It's good for overclockability, and it's also pretty future proof.
It will run AM2+ and AM3 processors, includes the SB750 southbridge, with ACC for Phenom processors to increase overclockability
it also includes the worlds best onboard GPU (AMD 790GX). so if you're left without a video card for whatever reason, it has a half descent GPU for backup.

Otherwise, you could look at 780G boards, which are cheaper (but try and make sure it has a 5 phase power design) though they usually have less expansion slots.

There are also Nforce 570 and 590 boards which are good for X2's, though not all of them will support Phenom's (a BIOS update is sometimes needed, but sometimes manufacturers are too lazy to make one)

If you're getting an nvidia based board go with the 9800GTX+. For just a little more you're going to get some better performance in games, and once the price drops on them you can try SLI and really tear it up.

yeah i'd get the mb maroon1 suggested, are you getting vista or xp?
If you're getting xp I'd prob upgrade the 2gb ram to ocz reaper 4gb (2x2gb) it's not expensive, right now it's 100$ with 35$ MIR. which make it about 65 in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom