Problem with RAM / CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zukster

Solid State Member
I recently bought a new computer and whenever I boot windows up I loads for 2 seconds. flashes a blue screen and reboots. Does it every time. I tried messing around with some of the hardware and came to a conclusion that it was my ram; just the ram is fine, but not with my PC. I have 2 gigs of duel channel ram, so I put in a 1 gig stick to see what would happen, It boots up fine! I then test the duel channel ram on my other PC and it works fine on there! So my question is, what could be causing my duel channel ram not to work with my computer?
Here are my specs:
Ram - Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

CPU -
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5800+ Brisbane 3.0GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 89W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

MoBo - Newegg.com - ASUS M2N-MX SE Plus AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

I have a 400W PSU.

My friend is having the EXACT same problem;
I just upgraded my CPU from an AMD 4400+ to an AMD 6400+. The only thing I did was switch out the CPU. I have 2 gigs of duel channel ram, and when I boot my computer up it loads to windows XP then it flashs a blue screen and my computer reboots. So i decided to swap some ram around thinking it might be bad, I then put in a 1 gig stick of DDR2 ram and it worked. But the thing is the ram I have isn't bad, I put it in my other computer and it works fine. I have a 680W PSU, so I doubt that is the problem.

Here is the parts I'm working with:
AMD 4400+ -
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Brisbane 2.3GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

AMD 6600+ -
Processor - 1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ / 3.2 GHz - Socket AM2 - L2 2…

Ram -
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Are you making sure to put the ram in the correct slots? I know that sounds really stupid, but dual channel ram has to be installed in certain slots (i know your MB supports dual channel) or it won't boot. Double check your MB manual.

Are you making sure to put the ram in the correct slots? I know that sounds really stupid, but dual channel ram has to be installed in certain slots (i know your MB supports dual channel) or it won't boot. Double check your MB manual.

Yes, it is in the right spots. There is only 2 spots it can go in.

There is only 2 memory slots on that motherboard. Normally when you do a major upgrade such as a CPU, windows will not like this and require a reinstall. That may be the solution to your friend's issue, but you say yours was purchased brand new and came with this issue?

Go into the BIOS and make sure your settings for RAM voltage are 1.8v and nothing lower. Have you tested it with BOTH sticks individually? As in, you try using 1 stick and it boots fine; did you then try the other 1 stick by itself to see that it worked?

There is only 2 memory slots on that motherboard. Normally when you do a major upgrade such as a CPU, windows will not like this and require a reinstall. That may be the solution to your friend's issue, but you say yours was purchased brand new and came with this issue?

Go into the BIOS and make sure your settings for RAM voltage are 1.8v and nothing lower. Have you tested it with BOTH sticks individually? As in, you try using 1 stick and it boots fine; did you then try the other 1 stick by itself to see that it worked?

I'm at work, I'll have to check when I get home for that stuff.

Edit: I put my CPU as a 4400+ instead of a 5800+.

Ok, I just tested it with one stick and it still gives me a blue screen and restarts. The Voltage on my ram is 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom