Can my PSU handle HD4870 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'll try those settings.
anyone else get smoke lag? like when you run into a smoke grenade i go chop-chop-chop.
never happens any other time. and doesnt happen all the time with smoke. maybe a server issue?

smoke seems to be nvidias achilles heel. Even my 3850 did loads better than my vmodded 8800GTS 512mb with smoke in CoD4, although the overall framerate was much lower.

turn on 4xAA and walk into a smoke grenade and i guarantee you the framerate will drop dramatically.

then imagine getting airbombed at the same time. death to framerate

1. with 16A on the +12V rail (192W), you'd be pushing it with that PSU, but if you're not running much else from it, it should work fine.
If it were me, I'd get a new PSU anyway. Something like this with 60A on the +12V rail, high quality components, and ~83-85% efficient across a very wide range of load conditions

With my budget I could barely get an HD4870, so no I can't spend more for a new PSU. And in the place where I live that PSU would could cost me much more than newegg.

I like to have an HD4870, but I won't get it until I make sure that my PSU can really hadle it with no problems

I might get HD4850 instead since it is cheaper and consume less power. But I heard from many people that HD4850 produce a lot of heat, more heat than HD4870

the 4850 produces much less heat than the 4870...it's just that the stock cooler does not spin up very fast unless you flash the bios or use a custom ccc profile.

Or you can install an aftermarket cooler like the Akasa Neo Vortexx.

accelero s1 rev 2 ftw

Does the 4850 really produce less heat? Or is it just because it is clocked lower?

Oh, and **** that copper heatsink on my 4850 was HOT to the touch after like 4 3dmark06 runs haha.

Guys, im pretty sure the 4870 uses less power than his GTS 320, and hes not even going to oc either.

Are you trying to say that it will use more than 14 amps alone?

Seriously, the card will run just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom