Video card updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he's gonna do SLI I'd say the 9600 or 9800 series. But I don't think he is he's just saving for one *snippeted* card.

a single 4850 performs about as well as a 9800 GTX+, though pulls ahead when you use AA
I'd still get a 4850, because they use less power, are cheaper, and have more overclocking potential, as well as having a single slot cooler.
G92 is a good GPU, but is already being pushed to its limits with 9800 GTX+

the only thing is, the 4850 tends to run a bit hot. The GPU is designed to handle a higher amount of heat though, and the fan speed, by default, is not that high (which you can increase and have the temperatures drop significantly)

*edit*
If you get a second 8800 GTS 640MB card, it will use a lot more power. the 8800 GTS 320/640, GTX and Ultra's all use the G80 GPU, which uses a lot more power than G92

Yes the more seasoned members agree with me. I kind of just threw the 4850 idea out there not knowing for sure.

I should have waited to get one myself instead of springing on a 130$ 3870 from best buy.

9800GTX+ runs better in a lot of games. They've done a lot of tests in games and most games it gets better FPS.

9800GTX+ runs better in a lot of games. They've done a lot of tests in games and most games it gets better FPS.

really they do tests now?
as apoko just said wen u add in the Aa nvidia cards seems to drop below, otherwise they are pretty close. nvidia cards seem to do a bit better due to lack of support for ati in some games (crysis).

I assume the they do tests now? was sarcasm lol. but yeah they do better. and in SLI they do better than the gtx280. and they do better in tri-sli than the gtx280 do in quad sli.

right, i wasn't saying it was an option for him, just saying how 9800GTX+ are superior cards
well I don't want to start an argument here, but they're kinda not.

*edit*
ATI driver updates have a history of doing a lot for performance. I think Catalyst 8.8 is supposed to have a good performance increase across the board, especially with multi-GPU's

Kinda not? As far as nvidia goes, the only better cards are the gtx280, gtx260, and 9800gx2. And those are all over 100 bucks more expensive. The only card ATI has over it right now is the 4870, and once the 4870x2 comes out. I dont want to start a fight either though lol, but it is a very good card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom