DUDE! Where's My RAID Data? Adaptec AAR-1220SA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
We have a PC which we use for our SBS 2003 R2 Server. It's an entry level server with 3 PC connected to it.
Specs are Intel Core2Duo E8400, 4Gb DDR II Ram, 2x SATA 160Gb Hard Drive (Software Raid for OS), 2x 1Tb Hard Drive (Raid via Adaptec Adaptec 1220SA), 1x 1TB Hard Drive for nightly back up.

This PC is left on 24/7. However every 6-8 weeks, the data from the 2x 1TB Hard Drives disappears. We will go into MY COMPUTER, we can still see the RAIDed Volume. However when we open up the volume, there is no data on the volume. We have found that if we restart the server, the data is back. During the restart, i notice that the RAID controller card is reporting to me that the volume is OPTIMAL.

This morning, we had this happen for the 3rd time, and it's getting a little annoying with the little mirror heart attack that you get finding that your data has gone walkies.

We are using your Adaptec Utility to monintor the RAID. The RAID is set up as a RAID1 (or Drive Mirror).

Any advice on what could be going wrong and what steps me can take to resolve the issue.

Have you checked device manager when the data on the volume isn't found? It could possibly be the RAID controller itself adn Windows would report that the device is failing when you can't find the files. Also does the card report that the volume is optimal everytime or only when it fails the previous time?

I would say start with a driver reinstall/update first and go from there. I'm assuming your software RAID running 2003 is 100%?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom