Computer not booting, restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

aircalculator

Solid State Member
Hi, I hope this is in the correct thread. It seemed to me to be either a problem with my motherboard or my PSU but I may be mistaken.

Recently I had been having trouble with my mouse (it was old and wouldn't go left easily) so I put in a new (well, actually old =P) mouse in the PS2 port. Since I had to restart in order to get it to work, I did so. From here the computer started issues.

Every time the computer starts, it does POST fine. It goes to the Operating System selection screen. For some reason, I cannot use the keyboard to stop the timer, choose which to boot to, or go to advanced options. However, during POST I could get to the BIOS (Del key) without issues. After the timer stops in which it should then boot to XP, the computer restarts and repeats this process.

I had lightning storms close before this happened, but I use a surge protector.

Is my PSU dying?

Any ideas why this is happening? How can I resolve this issue?

Hello,

Did you remember to uninstall the old mouse and drivers from the device manager first? Sounds like you didnt since it is causing conflict with the new mouse.

Put the old mouse back in. Go to the Device Manager. Start>Right click on My Computer>Manage>device manager.

From here expand the mouse options and choose to uninstall. Then since you wont have a mouse anymore use the keyboard to shut down. Then replace the mouse and see what happens.

Cheers,
Mak

I would first disconnect the mouse and put the old one back in and
see if it works fine. My guess is that the new mouse you are trying
to install has some problem. Usually mouse, keyboards does not need
any driver install/uninstall at all, since they are Basic IOs.

Before install/uninstall anything you may want to try a 3rd mouse
if you can test it. In that way your system is intact if its the problem
with mouse.

Please post what you find out. I never came across in my 10 yrs career
something like this.

Hope this help
Sam

The thing is, I already have used both mouses (mice?) before. The one I tried to install was one that I had used previously, before I changed to the one I've been using more recently. I already know both of them are Plug & Play.

Also, I have already disconnected the one that I was trying to use before this happened.
Since this computer is pretty basic and low power, I tend to never turn it off unless I have to. I don't understand how the mouse could cause this problem. I think whatever's happening started while the PC was on, but couldn't do anything until someone attempted to restart it.

I'll try out the other mouse tonight. My father took it to work to use there, but I'll ask him to bring it back for me.

I've already reseated the RAM, by the way. Just ruling that out since someone would probably ask me to try that.

Today it started making internal beeping noises, if that hints at anything.

Update: This is getting interesting.
I just booted to a spare Linux disk (Live CD) and everything's fine, including the mouse.

I would think at first that my Windows is corrupted which is why it restarts when it should be loading, but then why does my keyboard also stop working at that point?

This is all very confusing.

It seems like a driver issue then. You may want to try what Mark suggested.
Since Linux is loaded properly it eliminates most of the hardware possibilities.

When I work with PC thats misbehaving, I first do a memory check always.
Microsoft Online Crash Analysis
This program checks RAM for problems. Let it go through at least 4 levels.
You can write it to CD and boot from it, which will run the scan program.

Good luck and let us know.
Sam

Update: This is getting interesting.
I just booted to a spare Linux disk (Live CD) and everything's fine, including the mouse.

I would think at first that my Windows is corrupted which is why it restarts when it should be loading, but then why does my keyboard also stop working at that point?

This is all very confusing.

I can't do what Mak213 suggested if i can't boot windows. i can't even boot to safe mode.
i'll try your RAM checker. i have no cds left, so i'm going to put it on a USB drive and boot to that.

i'll post again when i try it.

I couldn't get it to work on the problem computer, but it worked fine on the other one.

I set the BIOS to boot from the flash drive, but it didn't boot, even though the computer I'm using now does it fine.

I looked around a bit harder for a blank CD and found one; I extracted the ISO onto the disk and burned it. The computer I'm using now, once again, was able to run it. On the other computer, it didn't run. And yes, I did set the boot order back to CDROM first.

I don't understand why it's able to boot to Linux* but not this.

Also, is there any way I could reinstall the drivers while I'm using Linux? I can access all of the files on the system while on Linux. Also, I lost my XP disk. I do have a 98 disk though, if that could be of any use.

*Btw I use Ubuntu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom