AMD Overclocking Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Official AMD Overclocking Thread.

Im using the stock heatsink on my 4000+ right now. I have a very precise, thin layer of arctic silver 5. At 3.04ghz. I run 27c +/- depending on room temp, and about 55c or 56c at load.

Yep, I've got the stock fan and everything. My case is pretty efficient I'd say, it's got a vent thing that goes onto the cpu, and another vent type thing on the side of the clear case. I might be man enough to try 2.5ghz, thought I'd probably really scared at first haha.

Go to 2.5ghz. It will be very easy I assume from my experiance with the 4000+. Up your front side bus up to 240 from the 200 stock, and you will be at 2.5ghz. I can almost gurantee you that you wont need to change the voltage, unless you fail a stress test. A good stress testing program is Orthos Prime. Search it on google, and download it. All you do is start the test, and use another program such as speedfan or core temp to monitor your tempuratures. As long as your core temps dont exceed about 40c and your overall temp in speedfan doesnt exceed 60c, your good. Also, download cpu-z so you can monitor all aspects of your cpu speeds and voltages, ram speeds and what not.

Once you learn the basics of HOW to overclock, its basically all learning your hardware through trial and error, and learning how adjusting one thing in your setup effects your system stability and speed.

I've got CPU-Z and Nvidia monitor to monitor all my temperatures, I just need to know how to adjust my FSB lol. Also, I sent albert an email from tigerdirect, and he said that in order for the 9800gtx+ (video card I'm getting) to not bottleneck would be to get the amd x2 3.2ghz or a phenom. that seems overkill do i really need that much?

My 4000+ is bottlenecking my 8800gs, So yes, the x2 3.2ghz would still bottleneck it, youll need a phenom x4 quad core. Is your motherboard AM2+? If not youll need a new motherboard cuz phenoms need am2+ motherboards. And, if thats the case, buy a intel q6600 quad core and an intel motherboard, and that will beat the pants off AMD.

To up your front side bus, when your computer is starting hit delete at your first boot up screen, which should show your IDE and SATA channels and what not. It should say hit DEL to enter setup somewhere on it.

M2N-e is AM2, I think it can be BIOS flashed for AM2+ Support, but thats not always guaranteed to work

Wow, nah my board is the Asus M2N-E sli, so its only am2. that totally sucks. I assume it doesn't bottleneck it too bad if you got it to what? 2.8 or something? that's pretty fast. I've always thought quad core was just overkill.

What is BIOS flashed for am2+ support? lol I know a good amount about ram and some video cards, this whole BIOS thing I'm new to. I guess that's why I joined this forum!

Well, once you get your new video card and learn to overclock, here is what i recommend. Buy the new Athlon X2 5600+ Black edition, and Overclock it to 3.3-3.4, that will be the cheapest way to get the most out of a 9800gtx. Otherwise, If you decide to spend more money, definately pick up an intel quad or a fast core 2 duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom