Should I add more???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shan1784

In Runtime
When I was building my pc a few weeks ago a stick of my memory kinda fell a part. It was one of those new style Gskills that have that bigger heatsink that extends off the top about an inch or so. I was inserting it into the slot and while putting pressure on the heatsink it broke loose and took all but 1 of the memory chips with it.

I attempted to do an rma with newegg but they didn't take it back due to physical damage. I rma'd it to Gskill but I had to send both sticks in. I then ordered a new identical set from newegg figuring that Gskill wouldn't cover it either. Their rma process is through email and all I had to go by was the form saying if it was physically damaged it wouldn't be replaced. I tried anyway..

So as it stand I have 4gb 2x2... I just got my memory back from Gskill yesterday and they replaced it so now I have 4gb more to install.

My question is would it be worth installing it or selling it to recoop my losses? We are talking about $80 bucks give or take a few $'s so it's not a ton of money. I'm running vista home basic 64bit and the rest of my system is in my sig..

Thanks for the advice...

if you bought a new set from newegg just sent it back for a refund...if not, sell it....but be careful, because one hardware is used/opened it's value drops A LOT

if you bought a new set from newegg just sent it back for a refund...if not, sell it....but be careful, because one hardware is used/opened it's value drops A LOT

Yeah, the Gskill I just got back is in an unopened sealed box and is brand new...

I wouldn't mind keeping and using it but I was just curious if I would see any difference...

I don't think you'd see much of a difference between 4gb and 8gb tbh. I suppose there is a little, but nothing drastic, but **** if you got the extra ram than may as wellput it in. I plan to run 8gigs when nahalem releases.

I don't think you'd see much of a difference between 4gb and 8gb tbh. I suppose there is a little, but nothing drastic, but **** if you got the extra ram than may as wellput it in. I plan to run 8gigs when nahalem releases.
you do know that nehalem uses DDR3 ram right? if so, good luck finding 8gb for a decent price...and it's tri-channel anyway...so you'd want to use either 3gb or 6gb

you wouldn't see much of a difference between 4gb and 8gb...so again, i think you should just get a refund or sell it

yeah I haven't read much on it yet, but i'm sure i'm gonna have to rebuild 50% of my computer anyways, or make a hand me down computer with the parts i don't want and give it to a family member or friend.

Ok, let me ask this... Will all four of my slots filled with 2gb memory hamper my performance at all? I thought I read somewhere that it would make my MB work harder... Is that true?

it should be fine if you add it in, you might need to bump up the nb voltage though to keep it stable like wafflehammer said.

Oh and in the future, don't put force through the heatsink :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom