Upgrading my cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

silveraragorn

Beta member
Hello everone, I'm interested in upgrading my computers cpu to increase my computers speed. I have i just recently added 2gb of ram and haven't really noticed much of an increase in speed. I was wondering how to tell what processor i can upgrade to. I currently have a Pentium D 2.80 ghz cpu. I know that you can only upgrade to what slot your current cpu is but i don't know how to tell what kind of slot i have.

Another question, do any of you know any good programs to look at specs of my computer. Its a dell dimension 9100 and the guide says that the motherboard supports dual channel ram but when i checked it on a web site it said that my mother board doesn't support dual channel ram.... confusing....
any help would be appriciated thanks!

I can't answer all questions, but adding ram will NOT increase the computer speed. Well not by much anyways. It's more of increasing how much your computer can handle. Also to be in dual channel, you need the same ram sizes and speeds in the slots that work together. Example if u ahve 4 slots, dimm1 and dimm2 must be the same, and dimm3 and dimm4 must be the same. There is some software that can find that, I even have it, but not sure where I got it, lol. You can go to run>dxdiag for some specs, but not much. CPU-Z is a program I have. Look it up, it tell you if your ram is operating in dual channel and tells some other basic stuff.

Ok, Pentium D, thats already a bad sign.. those are Socket 775..

unfortunately though looking at Dell's website, it seems they only support Pentium 4's and Pentium D's

So it looks like you can't really upgrade the CPU (unless you get a higher end Pentium D, which isn't worth it because its pretty bad)

But if you still want info your your rig download:
- Coretemp
- CPU-Z
- GPU-Z
- Everest Home Edition

You should save cash for a new build, even $500 can go a long way nowadays

Yep, save up, I had a prebuilt 1.5ghz pentium D with 512mb of ram and it was terrible. I used about 500 bucks, used the existing monitor, cd and dvd drive and built a pretty nice computer. Now i'm looking to upgrade the video card, but for the price I paid for mine last year, you can get a 9600 or hd4850 which are awesome. Save up, and rebuild!

cool, now here is the next q, if i'm goin to rebuild, i pritty much just need a new motherboard and cpu. I have a plenty big hard drive, (500gb) and enough ram (3gb), but do i also need to worry about if the power supply will support a new motherboard or should my exsisting be sutiable? or am i not making any since lol

Haha, you make sense. That computer sounds pretty old, I would reccomend a new power supply for sure. A bad power supply can ruin the entire computer. Don't skimp on the power supply, arguably the most important part. Are you a gamer? Or just the average home computer user? You may need an upgraded video card if you play games.

edit: disregard this, want to see if my sign will show up!

I'm a gamer, i have a nvidia 6800 and was planning on upgrading that as well but thats not as complicated as the other stuff listed, I know just enough about computers to get me into trouble sometimes....

I usually look at prices at newegg, so do you think my best bet would be one of there start up kits that they have or could i use the tower i have, its rather large for most computers.

You could use your tower, that would probably be fine as long as it's somewhat new and your stuff stays pretty cool. Make sure it doesn't collect too much dust. If it is pretty old, then you might want to get a new case.

depends when your going to make your computer, if you have the cash now, youll be looking at a e7200 intel build probably with maybe a 8800gs video card. maybe something a bit better, hard to say becuase i live in australia prices seem to go alot fourther in usa. if your not gonan get soon, no much point in planning ahead, always buy ur things all at once.

Yeah especially if you buy it with a limited warranty, because if you buy bits and pieces and don't end up putting it together a couple months down the road and you find out there is a defect in a part you bought at first, you more than likely are SOL and will have to re-buy the part. So yeah.... don't buy it in bits and pieces, put your money away and buy it all at once. (the higher quality products that are available now will get cheaper down the road anyways)

I guess one thing you could buy is your Case/Power Supply right now to make it so you don't have to save as much money, because those won't change much in price over the next couple of months. That's just my opinion though, some people may say otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom