Memory ques.'s and what not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerfreak14

In Runtime
Hey whats going on everyone? Well I recently got a dell xps m140 for free. I swore when i first checked the specs on this laptop, it said 1024mb (1Gb). Later that day i opened up the memory access spot, because i was told to try to reseat the ram, to maybe fix the battery problem i have. Then after that i checked again out of curiosity. its now reading 512mb. So im thinking that the top stick of memory that i removed either didn't get seated properly or im going crazy. My question is, where is the second memory slot, is it underneath it. Anyone with insight on dells. The reason i asked is because tomorrow i think im going to pick up a either another gig or 2. I could use more, it always helps. So can anyone shed some light nad also suggest what else i could buy or do.Also how to do memory.

Thanks again steve

You'll have to remove the keyboard to get to the other memory slot.

Documentation

It's recommended that both sticks are the same size and have the same ratings for best performance.

thanks a million for that guide, i had no idea how to locate the primary ram slot.

Well before i saw your reply,i removed the the secondary ram stick (dimm b), to see what stick isnt being found. it has to be the dimm b slot stick because the laptop booted fine and it didnt change in bios that theres any more ram. So i came to the idea that its the its the 512mb stick that after i removed it, im not sure if i am not reinstalling right or what. lol Isn't there a program to check ram? memtest or something? The reason i want to diagnose the mem, is because im going to best buy to maybe (2) 1 gig sticks so

Thanks again for the help and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom