PCI-E 2.0 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm, not what i was hoping for lol. I'm looking at the 9600 xxx alpha dog edition right now. do you think if I had two of those, would I be able to play crysis on at least high? Sorry if I'm being annoying asking all these questions. I just like to get a lot of opinions on variables before I buy.

yeah you could prob play on high, don't expect much aa or af though.

I found some eVGA 9800s on newegg for about 160-170, and XFX for about 200. These aren't the GX2 models though, just the single gpu ones. That isn't too out of my price range, do you reccomend them instead?

get a 4850 for $160ish or a 9800 gtx+ for around $200 both are great cards and around the same performance. the ATI one cost less, but the nvidia comes with a better cooler and uses less power (not 100% on the power thing)...dunno if you want to spend the extra $40 or w/e for it. but if you are using an nvidia based board or what future SLI then go with the gtx+

The 4850 outperforms the 9800gtx+ which is the die shrinked version of the 9800gtx... like waffle said. Your probably not an nvidia fan boy, your probably just used to buying from them. There is a difference.

The 4850 outperforms the 9800gtx+ which is the die shrinked version of the 9800gtx... like waffle said. Your probably not an nvidia fan boy, your probably just used to buying from them. There is a difference.

Haha, well said that's probably it, don't feel safe going out of my comfort zone haha. What I want is either in a single card, or in SLI, be able to play Crysis on high and look good with good fps. When Starcraft 2 comes out I also want to be able to do the same. I will show some cards I found on newegg.

1. eVGA- never bought from them so not sure if they are better or worse
Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N976-AR GeForce 9800 GT Superclocked Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

2. xfx 9800 gtx
Newegg.com - XFX PVT98FYDF9 GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

3. xfx 9600 GT (I could SLI it pretty soon)
Newegg.com - XFX PVT96GYDF4 GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

4.xfx 9600 gt xx alpha dog (considerably better specs)
Newegg.com - XFX PVT96GYDSU GeForce 9600 GT XXX Alpha Dog Eddition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

5. last but not least the hd4850 (this is the whole list, not sure what a good brand is, they run a lil bit more expensive as well)
Newegg.com - HD 4850, Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Should I get an XFX one? I've got an XFX now so would be it easier to install the drivers and what not?

Also, I have a mid-tower, not full. will this card fit in there?

I've always bought from tigerdirect, sides my processor. I think we've got a warehouse pretty close to where I live. Why buy from newegg? But all right, noticed your specs, you run the 9600. Do you think if I OC cpu to 2.4 it will run fine? And do you personally like it a lot?

Tigerdirect is annoying, I look at something there that looks to be like $50 dollars off and I'm like "Wow, that's awesome" so I click on it and there is like a $60 Mail in rebate or something... Newegg show's the price before the Mail in rebate and then in smaller text it shows the price after the rebate unlike tiger direct which shows the price after the rebate in huge text and then doesn't even show the price before the Mail in rebate until you click on the link, its extremely annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom