P45 boot issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

zmatt

The Bulldog
I just got my new 640gb hard drive so I went ahead and tried to install vista x64 on it, but I have run into two major problems. 1: it refuses to boot cds and dvds. 2: it wont detect my hard drive. I know the hard drive is good because windows can detect it fine and i was able to format it and copy files over to it. I know the dvd drive works because I use it every day. I have checked the BIOS for some kind of disabled option that may cause it but i have yet to find any. My other hard drive, a 250gb sata, works just fine and is detected. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Hello,

Check yoru BIOS settings for the drive. Is it set to ACHI or IDE?

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

ACHI might be better. But it shouldnt really matter. The drive not recognizing the disc is a big one. Got enough power?

Cheers,
Mak

Corsair 550VX that should be more than enough. I switched to ACHI and the drive is detected now, but I still cant get the dvd drive to boot a disk. It did once before but refuses to now and I have been using discs that I know to be bootable. The odd thing is that I watch it sit there with the drive light on for a solid minute or so and it sits there and finally decides there is nothing to boot.

Hello,

Check the disc for scratches and all that good stuff. Maybe even run a DVD ROM CLeaner disc thru there. Or blow som canned air in there.

Cheers,
Mak

Its a brand new dvd and I have tried several discs that work perfectly fine on my other pcs.

I was able to trick it into booting the dvd. Thanks for the help.

Hello,

Can you hit like F12 right after the BIOS screen to select to boot from the DVD Drive? See if that works? this is strange. Are the jumpers setup right and everything?

Cheers,
Mak

*Edit*

Just seen you post. Glad you got it working.

Hello,

I have seen reports of this more often lately. This is news to me as i have never had issue booting with any Vista DVD. But i also download mine right from Microsoft. I have never had a retail or OEM disc.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom