Anyone here overclocked a Intel Q9450 before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah that is a pretty sweet gig, i wish i could find a good deal on a qx9650.

im content with my q9450 for now though, nagasama i see you finally got one.

What are the max temps a Q9450 can go? I have a VID of 1.25 (Crappy..!) I overclocked it by upping the FSB to 400. And leaving everything else at default volts. So at 3.2 I have idle temps of 47,37,29,33. My idle temps at stock everything were 43,32,26,33. So far my last core has always been 33. This is with RealTemp. I'm gonna up to 1.3v and try 450 FSB.

EDIT: Okay 450 FSB, CPU FSB 1.325V, CPU Core 1.3V, Memory 1.95V. Idle Temps 53,42,36,33. What's with the 33 for my last core? And the first core spiked to 74 when I first opened RealTemp.

EDIT2: Okay here's some images. I'm not too smart in a lot of this and I'm working off of help from others. What do you make of this? Where do you think I should go from here?

EDIT3: Okay I just ran 3DMark06 and got these temps. But I hit 18170. :)

EDIT4: Yeah I didn't last more than 10 seconds with prime. But besides that it's run smooth. What should I do next? Thanks again guys!

I wouldn't keep that setting if it only lasted 10 seconds. While I haven't used that program I use Handbrake to encode movies, and that pretty much uses 100% of the processor. I've got it at 3.2ghz and the hottest it ever gets is around 54-55c.

I don't see why you're getting such a variety of readings, I've got the same processor and I'm using realtemp and I get readings like...

Core 0: 41c
Core 1: 37c
Core 2: 35c
Core 3: 37c

Apparently I'm using Realtemp 2.6, if it matters much.

My idle core temps from RealTemp, and using a Zalman 9700NT set to autofan are: 35, 35, 38, 38. Under full load I'm around 55 - 56C. Ambient temp has been about 27C. I do suffer the same issue as you though. 3.2GHz is nice and stable but 3.4Ghz will boot and seems to run fine but fails Prime95 rather quickly. For me though, I believe it is memory and MCH issue. I'm running 8GB Corsair Dominator memory and my EP45-DS3R won't let me change any MCH or DRAM voltage setting or else I suffer BSOD and freezes. Weird but I guess that is why there are $200+ motherboards and then lower ones.

Man I don't get it. My First core (Or actually core 0) can be as high as 25 degrees more than my forth core. Right now it's at 53,43,32,33. I upped the volts on a few things to see if I can get it more stable. One thing I don't know is what I should set my memory timings too. Can anyone give me advice there?

I just upped the Vcore to 1.3125 and dropped the CPU FSB to 1.25V. Idles were around the same. But with Prime my first and second worker stop running within seconds every time. And within a minute the other two go with it.

Is this happening at 3.4Ghz or 3.2Ghz? My system is rock solid at 3.2GHz but not at 3.4. When you run RealTemp and test sensors, what values do you get? Also, look in HW Monitor or Everest...what CPU temperature do you get? To be honest, and after researching myself I'm told the "package" temperature that those show is more important. Many of the 45nm processors seem to have faulty core temp sensors. As for all four cores failing Prime...that's more than mine. When mine fails at 3.4GHz it is only one core that fails, and not always the same one. You did use thermal compound when applying your cooler, correct? I may have missed but what cooler are you using?

my temps stay in the high 30s with the exceptiong of core 0 which stays in the low 40s at idle, with 1.28v-1.3v and 450fsb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom