LCD Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero4549

Solid State Member
A little over a year ago I purchased a Samsung SyncMaster 226bw which on paper appeared to be the very best large gaming monitor (2ms response, 1680x1050 res, 3000:1 contrast).

In real life, its not quite so great. Unknown to me and most other people buying these LCDs at the time, Samsung began replacing their high end LCD panels with cheap low quality ones manufactured in China and Mexico. These cheap panels have a very VERY slow response and their color is awful (but are still advertised as before... quite scummy imo).

Anyway, my question is what is a good replacement? I want a large fast wide screen monitor with good color. I'll be using it for gaming, so it needs a low response time and high refresh rate. Ill also be using it for watching blurays and creating art, and it therefore must have good color, size, and a wide aspect ratio... preferably with a sleek black casing. Oh, and no more than 300 bucks if possible.

Any ideas?

umm, i got mine (226bw) in January and it is great, what are you talking about? it has extremely vivid colour and a great response time, perhaps i got one that wasn't as you say.

you can look for a 24" Soyo w/ the MVA panel for $300
Soyo 24" DYLM24D6

na thats too slow for me... the size is nice but not nice enough to justify $300 when a 2ms 8000:1 contrast 60hz 22 inch is only 200 bucks

umm, i got mine (226bw) in January and it is great, what are you talking about? it has extremely vivid colour and a great response time, perhaps i got one that wasn't as you say.

check the back panel on your monitor, there will be a model letter (S,A, or C)

If you have an S you have the original panel (the good one) if you have an A, or like me a C, you have a **** panel with awful color and 16ms response... and likely a handful of dead pixels.

problem is, you cant tell what you have until you take it out of the box.

wth?!?! its a 24" MVA panel monitor. Your lucky if you can find it that cheap. Are you afraid of ghosting? Because 6ms is not going to give it to you. I gamed on an LG 24" w/ 8ms and there was no ghosting. Remember you pay for the resolution, not the extra 2". Its perfect for art. The colors are very accurate and great viewing angles. Or you can just buy a cheap TN panel because it has 2ms and high dynamics

check the back panel on your monitor, there will be a model letter (S,A, or C)

If you have an S you have the original panel (the good one) if you have an A, or like me a C, you have a **** panel with awful color and 16ms response... and likely a handful of dead pixels.

problem is, you cant tell what you have until you take it out of the box.

i have an S :)

Actually ghosting is exactly what I'm worried about. At that size 5ms causes ghosting. additionally id prefer a panel capable of at least 70hz at native resolution. (60hz on a quick 180 spin in a game will give you gaps between every 3 degrees, which is very noticeable on large screens)

some monitors handel grey to grey good, some bad, so a 5ms of one model and a 5ms of another could be totally different. Samsung is generally great for grey to grey.

some monitors handel grey to grey good, some bad, so a 5ms of one model and a 5ms of another could be totally different. Samsung is generally great for grey to grey.

only as long as your samsung is actually a samsung panel and not a cheap unheard of chinese/mexican panel with samsung logo slapped on... I was quite a fan of samsung myself and i still consider their panels some of the best out there... however with their new policy of only using true samsung panels for the first 2 months then replacing 2/3 of their panels with inferior ones, its just not worth the risk. 300 bucks for a 16ms panel with dead pixels and an awful blushift is not value =/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom