CPU upgrade (compatibility question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timaphillips

In Runtime
if you are rendering i would recommend a quad-core..it'll do it much faster than a duel-core

I'm using Sketchup, which doesn't support more than one core. I don't anticipate it supporting more than 2 any time soon either. However, I am exploring more 3D programs, as I've come to think I'm outgrowing Sketchup.

well, in that case get the e8500 , a good air cooler, and OC the snot out of it lol....but if you start using other programs a quad-core would be a nice thing to have just in case you can use it

That E8500 should give you about 30% more performance compared to you current system in rendering. However, you computer as it is now should chew sketchup and spit it out into a fine dust... So i am assuming you are talking purely about rendering times. If that is the case, then what render are you using with it??

Vray and Mental Ray both utilize 4 cores, as do the software renders of programs such as 3ds max and Maya. Just about all renders use 4 cores, because they were programing them to to this years ago for render farms (before anyone had heard about dual cores).

Anyway, my point is, if you are using a 3rd party render for sketchup you will see about a 200% increase in rendering times with a Q6600 compared to you current system, i know, i have myself.

Oh, and by the way, just keep in mind rendering takes a looooooooong time and sometimes theres nothing you can do about it.

That E8500 should give you about 30% more performance compared to you current system in rendering. However, you computer as it is now should chew sketchup and spit it out into a fine dust... So i am assuming you are talking purely about rendering times. If that is the case, then what render are you using with it??

Vray and Mental Ray both utilize 4 cores, as do the software renders of programs such as 3ds max and Maya. Just about all renders use 4 cores, because they were programing them to to this years ago for render farms (before anyone had heard about dual cores).

Anyway, my point is, if you are using a 3rd party render for sketchup you will see about a 200% increase in rendering times with a Q6600 compared to you current system, i know, i have myself.

Oh, and by the way, just keep in mind rendering takes a looooooooong time and sometimes theres nothing you can do about it.

I'm using Podium for Rendering. I'm hoping for a dual-core support update before the year is up. The rendering doesn't completely bother me, though. It's the general performance of sketchup. I do grocery store layouts that can be as large as 70,000 sq. ft. That's a lot of equipment models to place in one file and sketchup sometimes gets a little bogged down (yes, I know layers help). I'm thinking about migrating towards Revit. Thoughts?

Still looking for an answer as to the compatibility of this CPU on my system....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom