CMOS/ BIOS trouble shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Random Seeker

Banned
I'll start off to say I'm new to the scene, and problems occured after installing a graphics card, geforce fx 5500 to be exact.

My computer model:
Datamini: Products

The following messages shows up on BIOS but not every time, leaving me uncertain of actions to take, DSKCHK doesn't find a problem, and is strangely now black on the border with green on the main area where it shows statistics.

CPUID: 0F29 Patch ID:002E

Default settings loaded.

And my system clock resets to 2004 confusing my firewall and disabling it's anti virus.

Things I've done:

Sitted the graphics card properly.
Accidently removed what seems to be the heating prosessor. Big Fan thing with silver intel sticker on it, must be.
I've not touch anything else, and from search results, can removing the battery really help?
I might have done this when I did not power off the computer power, the main plug to the wall was however pulled out.
Why is it that the | symbol pushed in results in powering on and the O symbol off?

Have a good laugh, and maybe help me.

the | and O you are referring to is the power switch of the power supply unit from the ac outlet to the power supply, or into the machine. You should not be using this to power off and on the machine. Use only the Power button located somewhere towards the front of the computer case.

if you accidently removed a heat sink fan...you must reattach it, and do so properly.

the cmos battery is easy to do IF you need to...
if not, easy
look inside case for round batter...look for the notch...use something to pop the battery off...replace with same

so no laughs....but hopefully whatever you did is only minor and that you actually did install the graphics card correctly

ALSO, in bios, disable quickboot if you can see that option. Then re-enable it after you do a few reboots.

I meant that after I shutdown with the normal process, turn off the wall outlet, plug out the power cable, then turn that button off.

I've positioned as closely and tightly as possible and latched both locks back, would it prove any further problems?

ah....

do you also have any extra devices attached to the computer? printer, scanner, any external drives?

try it without anything else attached, except keyboard and mouse

also, you don't have to touch that button...since you unplug it....turning off and then unplugging should be all you need to do

your computer powers up completely and you are able to get into whatever OS you are using?

I'm using the said comptuer to play games and post messages now, only thing is that the CMOS error comes up randomly.

Edit: Printer is connected but disabled, doesn't power up etc, no external drives, able to acess bios and Q flash.

that error is a suggestive error, hinting at hardware that is either not working properly or is about to fail...it is vague but otherwise doesn't hinder you all that much, for now ;)

Turns out that my CMOS battery failed on a coincidental date to when I installed the graphics card, 5 years after purchasing the computer, bought a new battery for $3, everything's fine now, thanks for the suggestions.

More problems, my bios seems to be corrupted, it restarted my computer twice after my last posted message, however it auto recovered both times, before anything serious happens, what steps should I take?

If I should reflash the BIOS, what version should I use? my computer specifications is in the link above.

it should be quite low, the chance for BIOS to be corrupted merely from a failed battery...normally it can only be corrupted from a bad bios update attempt

if you have documentation to tell you what specifically your mobo is, retrieve a bios image from the makers site and perform an update.

chances are you may need a floppy drive...but hopefully you'll have other options

HOWEVER, you may only need to do a mobo jumper reset, and that again may require a manual...cmos battery off, jumper set, system on, system off...jumper reset, battery reset....etc

I just remembered something else I disk checked and defragmented both times, during the defragment sessions I noticed the block of green unmovable/ system files from the graphics card move towards the right, the second time the crash happened it moved to the complete right leaving a tiny gap to the end, what relation to my problem would this have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom