My comp crashes with my newer DVD-R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirtis

In Runtime
Hey guys,

So yea, I've never seen this issue before, after building comps for over 10 years. Maybe someone can help me out. I have one Hard disk hooked up to the first Sata slot on my EVGA 680i MB. I have one old IDE CD-R hooked up to the first IDE slot. When i hook up my new Samsung DVD-R to any of the Sata slots, my computer acts all wonky, freezes up, restarts, I don't knoiw what the deal is.

When i first got it, it worked fine. I had in the Sata slot 2 and it was fine for a while, after a period of time my computer would begin freezing up for about 30 seconds at a time. So i troubleshot a bunch and figured it was my DVDR drive, so i switched it to sata slot 3, it worked fine again for a while, then it started rebooting my computer randomly, usually right after my first boot of the day, and it suddenly stopped reading discs all together and the MB wouldn't even detect the drive. I have all the latest firmware from samsung and everything and im running vista 64.

Anyone know what could be up, or what the protocol is for sata slot hook ups when you have one HDD and one DVDR? I looked through the manual and couldn't find anything. Do i need to take out the old IDE CD-R? Thanks in advance.

Hello,

This sounds like a faulty DVD Drive. I would replace it with a new one and see if the issue occurs again. Just to make sure it isnt a bug with say the BIOS over just the Drive being bad.

Cheers,
Mak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom