Anyone here overclocked a Intel Q9450 before?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vernong1992...thanks for reassuring.
Clint Eastwood...what motherboard do you have? You might have said earlier but in quickly skimming I didn't catch it if you said it.

I tried looking up the manual but that part of DFI's site wasn't working. What the others have said is correct though. Once you have your processor overclocked and stable the best way to keep the memory stable is to make sure it has a little more voltage...but not too much. Since your memory is rated to run at those times at 2.1V I wouldn't go over 2.2V, especially if you don't have any kind of cooler on your memory. When you set it at 2.1V what does your BIOS say it is at. Many motherboards suffer (if you want to call it that) from Vdroop...meaning the actual voltage isn't quite what you enter it as. On mine, if I enter 2.1V it usually ends up at between 2.06 and 2.08V. I don't know if memory manufacturers take that into account so you may want to put your voltage a little higher than 2.1 until the actual value reads 2.1. Then try the EPP timings (and you should find the command line in one of the memory settings to put at 2...or 2T). I also would be cautious with your memory timing. While the FSB for the processor is at 1600MHz you don't want your memory at that...haha. If you have 800MHz memory...I wouldn't go over 1000MHz until you have your system stable and know it can handle it.

clint i have the same board you do and the same processor.... to get 3.2, just leave everything at stock and simply raise the fsb to 400. shouldn't have to increase anything therefor not increasing temps by much if at all.

Well I tried to overclock mine to 3.4GHz (currently at 3.2GHz) and even at 1.3V (that was a chore in itself trying to figure out what voltage settings to change to get overall CPU voltage to change) I it will boot into Windows just fine but fails Prime 95 rather quickly with an error. What voltage settings do people recommend I try to get it stable at 3.4...and maintain long-term reliability. Temps didn't seem to high...hit 60C under full load but ambient temp was 27/28C. My motherboard is a EP45-DS3R and my memory is Corsair Dominator (8GB at 2.13V).

i got it for really cheap, going to have a few benching sessions then put it up for sale and hopefully make 100 or more quid :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom