swapping a dvd-rw for a dvd-rom

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdspicer

Beta member
hi. i am relatively new to handling hardware on pc's. i have a dvd-rw that was used in an old computer that is now kaput. i wanted to install it in another computer that is good that currently has a cd-rw and a dvd-rom, 2 seperate drives.
i took out the dvd-rom (disk 0) and installed the DVD-rw and ran the firmware that i downloaded from the internet to update the drivers and what not.
however, the computer that i installed it on is only recognizing it as a dvd-ram, not a dvd-rw.
can anyone help me out with this problem?
it's a windows xp machine.
thanks.

Hello,

So let me get this right. You took out a DVD Drive from a old PC to replace one in your current rig that has a CD Drive that you want to get rid of.

So you installed it. But it doesnt recognize it as a DVD Burner just a DVD RAM Drive.

Are you sure it is a burner?

Cheers,
Mak

i am sure it is a burner. i used it a lot on the old computer. it is a lg super-multi dvd drive. the type is a gsa-4167B, Rom version DLIJ

what happened was this. i had a computer that is no broken, the motherboard is fried. i took the dvd-rw out of it and put it in another computer.

the computer it is in now is not seeing it as a dvd-rw, just a dvd-ram.

Hello,

You said you tried to update the firmware. Are you sure that it took and didnt cause this to happen?

Cheers,
Mak

If it says "DVD-ROM" in the "My Computer" menu, that doesn't mean it doesn't have burning capabilities. Try a DVD-writing application and check back with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom