My new 8800GT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sla1012

Solid State Member
I just got a new 8800GT, upgraded from a 7600GT.

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N801-AR GeForce 8800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

And I guess I excepted WAAYY to much. I barely notice a difference ingame, 20-30 fps boost.

So I am asking if I maybe installed it wrong or something because I am going to be ****ed if I payed 130 bucks for a 20fps boost.

I have a Intel Pentium 2.66 GHz processor.

Thanks.

And btw I was reading the reviews and the people were saying they were getting 60+ fps with high settings on newer games. I am getting 40-60fps with low settings on css.

Hello,

You have to remember that while a top notch video card will help you gain in FPS it still also depends on your CPU and the RAM you have. Cause you still have to load and process stuff in game.

So having a P4 @ 2.66GHz with 1GB of RAM with a 8800GT will not give you 60+FPS ingame. You should only see about 20 or so FPS boost with specs like that. I get roughly 60-70 FPS in CSS with a P4 @ 3.4GHz with 3GB of RAM.

Cheers,
Mak

I have 2 GB of RAM and I would be willing to OC I have good cooling.

I have absolutely no idea how to though.

Hello,

While OC might get you some more FPS it will still not get you what you are aiming for. With your CPU you would be lucky to reach the 3.4GHz mark which i am at. Even then you gain what, 10 FPS? So you still would not get the 60+ which you are expecting.

Even with the 2GB of RAM it still wont be as good and having a dual core CPu or quad Core CPU.

I am may be totally off on this. But i dont think i am.

Cheers,
Mak

What kind of Intel cpu are you running?

Is it a Core 2 Duo, a Pentium D, a Pentium 4?

If it is either of the latter 2, they are acting as a bottleneck and reducing your overall system performance.

What game are you talking about. If it's a very high demanding game like Crysis 20fps is a huge boost. If it's an older game, then 20 fps isn't all that much.

Aspire,

He mention CS:S in his first post. But you are right. I should have asked what kind of CPU. Didnt think of that.

Cheers,
Mak

Sorry, didn't notice that.

His issue is his processor, no doubt about it. A 8800gt should be scoring upwards of 100fps with a current gen cpu.

It's a Pentium D.

So you're saying the only thing I can do is get a new processor.

To get the kind of improvement you want, yes.

And you may need to get a new mobo to support a new cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom