GPU temp concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fumphis

Solid State Member
My GPU is a BFG GeForce 7950 GT OC, with all stock cooling. It idles at 65c and when gaming it gets into the mid-90s, and those are with pretty high fan speeds. I did a case clean very recently--no dust--and the fan isn't clogged or blocked or anything. Any thoughts on (a) what the problem is and (b) how long the card will hold up like this?

Hello,

Without a doubt that isnt good. Can only wager to guess what the problem is. But i would start off with 2 things.

1. It is summer and hotter. A hotter enviroment doesnt help keep the PC cooler.
2. Not getting enough air out of the case.

As for how long hte card will hold up. If you put it under load alot. It will most definately not hold up for as long as it would otherwise. Without knowing how old the card is and how long you have run it at these temps there is no way for sure to say how much longer it would last with those kind of temps.

Without a doubt running at higher temps hurts the device. Try installing RivaTuner to turn up the stock cooler on it so you can try to keep it cool.

Cheers,
Mak

it will take some life off the card but these cards can run at high temps. Try working on some wire management, maybe adding some fans here and there, you may have to cut some holes for them though.

Just always have some eggs or bacon on top of it to dissipate some of the heat. That way your card is happy and you're never hungry!

Hehe you could always get a new heatsink for it.

I would turn up the GPU fan's speed percentage. My 4850 graphics card temp dropped 20C idle temps when I set the fan percentage from 20 to 60%.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom