Techist - Tech Forum - View Single Post - 32 bit OS RAM limitation.

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Wildside
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside
Default Re: 32 bit OS RAM limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak213 View Post
Wildside,

If you have SP1 then all the RAM should be read. Only before SP1 did this issue come in with all your RAM not being read correctly.

So if it shows 3.12GB something is off. It is not recognizing all your RAM for some reason. Could be a multitude of things in that case.

I have 3GB of RAM and 1GB of Video RAM as well. Vista only showed 3GB for me. It didnt register the VRAM. So it could be that they have it only read the system RAM not the VRAM now. I am not fully sure. I have not looked into it lately.

Cheers,
Mak
i thinks it's only the system RAM by the sound of it. I'm now getting second thoughts of upgrading to 64-bit, but i dont want to take the chance because idk how much a difference 64-bit will make compared to 32-bit in gaming.

My mobo is infected n i will see if i can get MSI to fix it or exchange it, but ive been busy with work and school for the past few months, plus my dad wont let me n im on the edge of not caring anymore ill send it in anyway.

EDIT:

found this on microsoft.com, Source:

Quote:
Various devices in a typical computer require memory-mapped access. This is known as memory-mapped I/O (MMIO). For the MMIO space to be available to 32-bit operating systems, the MMIO space must reside within the first 4 GB of address space.

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of onboard memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

The reduction in available system memory depends on the devices that are installed in the computer. However, to avoid potential driver compatibility issues, the 32-bit versions of Windows Vista limit the total available memory to 3.12 GB. See the "More information" section for information about potential driver compatibility issues.

If a computer has many installed devices, the available memory may be reduced to 3 GB or less. However, the maximum memory available in 32-bit versions of Windows Vista is typically 3.12 GB.
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Wildside is offline   Reply With Quote

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.