Duel Booting...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtLeast320GB

Solid State Member
Alright so i got vista on one harddrive and XP on another they both came with two seperate computers, i've decided to take out the XP HD and put it into my VISTA computer plugged it in, and i went into boot menu and picked boot form that XP HD and it didnt even get to the XP loading screen, it just got BSOD and rebooted itself, but my Vista HD is working perfectly fine. So im just wondering what could cause this?

MY XP harddrive was in another computer working just fine i just tried to plug and play without tweaking nothing. So Im cerious if i gotta tweak anything?

Thanks.

The cause is that it was in another computer. You need to use your XP CD and do a repair install on that hard drive.

Hello,

CVB is right. The hardware profile that XP has on file is not the same one that matches the PC that it is in now. So it BSOD's right away. You have to either repair that install or format and fresh install.

Cheers,
Mak

also you will probably have to reactivate the XP install too. since it will sense it is on different hardware.

Re-activating is a simple task tho.... Call into M$ if it doesnt do it online, tell them you had to reformat your HDD and need to reactivate...put in about 40 numbers...and you're good. Takes about 10 minutes =P.

Only if it's legit :). These days no one knows what is or isn't! Not even Microsoft hehe.

Oh and it's spelled dual. Sorry you guys already know I'm stickler for spelling :p.

lol yeah we usually go on rants together like this. You'll get used to it :). Most of the time it helps them with more than they wanted to know anyway!

Alright Cool so i got XP To boot on my system and i got genue C-d key and everything right, so now the problem is the Drivers :p I DO got drivers cd that came with my vista cant i just install them directly to the other HD and ill get all the drivers to work?

But the thing about this is i put in the c-d and i got an error? so im just wonderin how i would get the drivers to work for my lan... etc...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom