Dell XPS M140 Battery/Charging problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computerfreak14

In Runtime
Hey everyone, whats goin on? I posted in a bit. But im back for some expert help. I just recieved a free laptop, DellXPS m140 100gb HD 1 gig ram, not bad. the reason i was given it was that the screen would need to be pressed to get the image to display,i opened it and the screen lcd was loose. Easy fix! Well the last problem i have is with the battery. I will plug the A/C adapter in the laptop (no battery installed) and plug it in the wall. Turns on, no problem. But when i have the A/C adapter connected and insert the battery, the light on the power convertor or whatever you call it, located in the middle of the power cable, that LED dims out., laptop top wont turn on. I was told to open up the area with the ram and reseat it, no go.

I would really like to fix this last problem, because this laptop would be perfect.
Thanks for anyone who helps ad gives insight.
Thanks again steve

Hello,

Either that will resolve it or give you a definate answer that the connects for the laptop battery are fried and need to be replaced.

Cheers,
Mak

I have the same problem, computer works great on power adapter but when I want to charge battery adapter is turning off - I can't plug power adapter with battery inserted. I'm sure that battery and adapter is good I've checked it, so it has to be something inside computer... Can anybody help me? Any advice?

I have the same problem, computer works great on power adapter but when I want to charge battery adapter is turning off - I can't plug power adapter with battery inserted. I'm sure that battery and adapter is good I've checked it, so it has to be something inside computer... Can anybody help me? Any advice?

How did you test the battery and the adapter? Is the adapter the correct wattage for the laptop?

I give my battery and adapter to a friend who has the same model of laptop, he charged my battery in his computer with my and his adapter and it worked perfect. I could use full battery on my laptop but only till I had to charge it again coz it still wouldnt work with adapter plugged in.

Timely thread...

So a friend calls me up and tells me his laptop won't turn on and they bought a new battery but that wasn't the problem. He says Best Buy told them that the AC plug needed to be resoldered. So he asks me if I'll try my best. Sure why not, he assumes the laptop is dead so if I can fix it great.

Obviously it is a Dell XPS M140 with the dreaded AC plug issue (what a biotch!) Doing a little searching online comes up with many posts, but this is the best forum I found so I want to share and see if we can figure this out together.

Has anyone successfully resoldered the AC plug? I have the motherboard out but I can't see any obvious burnt or broken solder joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom