Can my PSU handle HD4870 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
wait wait guys, So the 4870 consumes 7% more energy? or is only 7% faster?

If its only 7% faster, whats the point of spending like the double for only 7% faster?

Do those additional fans they sell for the graphics card really work? PCI fans I think their called.

It'll be fine, the GTS 320mb consumes more power on average.

And its tons better, it should be. Also if you're looking for some Crysis performance increase, try the very high hack for XP.

wait wait guys, So the 4870 consumes 7% more energy? or is only 7% faster?

If its only 7% faster, whats the point of spending like the double for only 7% faster?

Do those additional fans they sell for the graphics card really work? PCI fans I think their called.

At the same CORE clocks, meaning a 4870 at 750 and a 4850 at 750, the 4870 is only 7% better. The 4850 needs to be Overclocked to reach that, and in some cases you need to perform a bios, pencil, or volt mod to get even that high of clocks.

The 4870 is still a great card, and when overclocked it can reach 850 with ease without these mods. But still, thats if you have the money to spend, and if you want to save $130 or so you can get a nice card that is just a little bit under the 4870.

I want to bios mod, it sounds easy and you can still get to 850mhz core according to some guy on XS.

If it works out, I'll make sure I transfer the info (giving proper credit to the people who posted it at xs) so that people with 4850's here can enjoy 850mhz of pure goodness.

I'll be happy with 750 though o_0 if this doesn't work I'm pencil modding.

I want to bios mod, it sounds easy and you can still get to 850mhz core according to some guy on XS.

If it works out, I'll make sure I transfer the info (giving proper credit to the people who posted it at xs) so that people with 4850's here can enjoy 850mhz of pure goodness.

I'll be happy with 750 though o_0 if this doesn't work I'm pencil modding.

ya use that XOC BIOS

Is HD4870 larger than my 8800GTS 320MB in size ?

I'm asking this to make sure that it fits in my case

ya use that XOC BIOS

I think your talking about the the bios for the 4870 that lets you hit 990mhz with CCC. I purchased a 4850. I already found the bios I will be using though on XS, it gives you alot of headroom and adds some extra voltage. The bios creator says 1.3, but its more like 1.212 or something. Which is fine, thats enough to get 750, or so I hear.

Maroon you should be alright with that PSU since AFAIK you are running everything at stock....but the 4870 does suck lots of power and it would make me nervous running the PSU at full tilt while gaming.

You might want to put a new PSU next on your list...a good solid HX620w or similar will last you for years and years.

As for it being an upgrade over an 8800GTS, lol yes very much so. I used to have a 640mb 8800gts vmodded (as well as a G92 vmodded 8800GTS 512mb) and this card is massively faster than both. It really shows its true colors when you start heaping on all the AF and AA.

Here are some GRID benches I've just done, my 4850 is at 820/1150 so it's faster than a stock 4870, but it should give you a good idea of how it performs.
settings are 1680x1050 everything maxed out in-game, switched on and set to highest except Vsync...and CCC set to high quality.

The bench is recorded with fraps, it was a replay of a race about 4 min long

8xMSAA
Min---Max----Avg
44---112----82.533

12x Narrow Tent
Min---Max---Avg
32---75----58.529

24x Edge Detect
Min---Max---Avg
29---74----46.132

IQ and AA Differences

To more easily see differences open them up each in their own tab and once they are finished loading switch between them.

NoAA
http://jra1jw.bay.livefilestore.com...eeenekD-xen6qfQTi9wFz7g2oOqyFQtxnD9E/noAA.png

8xAA
http://jra1jw.bay.livefilestore.com...skUmpUbDpT4HemHsW-NJ0297jWSZXKnoFc/8xMSAA.png

12x Narrow Tent
http://jra1jw.bay.livefilestore.com..._L6-wyng_WqcbVeu98mZ-ab__zI/12xNarrowTent.png

24x Edge Detect
http://jra1jw.bay.livefilestore.com...pRakJiirgg3XG0wFGqPP7A_663nZjIewN_k/24xED.png

also 8xAA seems fine to me. There is a tad bit of aliasing but the game still looks purdy to me! Also get around 85-90 constant

click for full

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom