Q9300 or E8500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Performa

Solid State Member
Heyas.

I'm getting a new rig, and need to decide on one of these CPUs. I can get the e8500 for slightly less than the quad, but money isn't really an issue here, I'm just interested in getting the one that suits my needs best. The two top quads from intel right now, (can't remember thair names atm) are a bit too expensive for me atm though.

The needs are fairly simple, it's mostly all about gaming.

As far as I've understood, a quad core might be better in a future perspective, while not many games or programs uses quad cores at the moment anyway, so the e8500 might be a better buy at the moment, and a possible upgrade to a quad can happen when it's worth it.

So basically, what would you suggest for a gaming rig? the q9300 or the e8500?

Thanks,
P

a higher speed dual core(e8500 overclocks further then q9300) will be better in games... everyone says the q6600 is future proof when its really not

The q6600 was one of the first 4 core processors. Quad cores are new, many apps and games don't utilize 4 cores. I would get the e8500 due to the fact in most games you will have a better experience... Also they can overclock like gold....I wish I had one....

good post. i'm currently in the same boat as you, i'm looking at a q6600 and a e8400 and cant come to make a decision. I do agree with OP saying that the quad cores are a little overkill atm and as for future proof i think that can be arguable. I'm leaning towards the e8400 mostly because I'm gonna be pairing it with an 8800gt and mostly be playing WoW, D3 when it comes out, and TF2 and i dont need that extra core power, it's a bit of a waste.

edit: as you can see i'm making a big jump from whats in my sig :p

quad core optimized games are just around the corner (there are already a few out) also there are many multi threaded applications out. Quad core is the way togo, with the release of nehalem around the corner getting a dual core would be a bad move in the long run if u ask me.

quad core optimized games are just around the corner (there are already a few out) also there are many multi threaded applications out. Quad core is the way togo, with the release of nehalem around the corner getting a dual core would be a bad move in the long run if u ask me.

Same can be said about current quad cores...bottom line is you will be outdated in 8 months either way

for now tho the e8500 will give you the best gaming experience

Allright, thanks alot for your answers.

Seems to me my best desicion is to go with the e8500 and upgrade to a quad later when they're more defined, and I actually need one.

Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom